News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » News

Students get glimpse of career possibilities

Submitted by Melissa Ibbotson on October 15, 2010 – 10:21 amOne Comment

Potential employers presented many new opportunities on Wednesday, Oct.13, for both graduating students and those with more schooling in mind.

Junior criminal justice major Damian Brooks talks with North Little Rock firefighter Gary Williams at Career Connections Day Wednesday, Oct. 13. Photo by Melissa Ibbotson

The 2010 Fall Career Connections Day offered students a way to speak with around 40 prospective employers. Available jobs included internships, positions in management, sales and much more.

“I’m very pleased with the turnout this semester,” said Dr. Mike Kirk, director of counseling and career planning services.

Kirk said it seemed like there were more vendors this semester than last, and expressed optimism at the state of the economy because of it.

The North Little Rock Fire Department was one of the many vendors reaching out to students, and Lt. Greg Nash said this year is proving to be as successful as past years. The department has been coming to Career Connections Day since 2002.

“We usually get about 10 applications a year from this event,” he said. “We definitely plan on coming back.”

Damien Brooks, a junior criminal justice major, said he has spoken to a few of the vendors there.

“I’m pretty interested in the fire department,” he said. “It sounds promising.”

He also talked to representatives from Hewlett-Packard and was happy with that prospect as well.

“There’s more money in computer science,” he said.

Students who were not looking for a career just yet also had many options. Kroger was on hand to discuss management opportunities and McDonald’s was there as well.

Also present were the UALR Graduate School and representatives from Harding University’s MBA program for students wishing to continue their education.

Brad Patterson, a professor at UALR, took his first year experience students to the career fair.

“Even though the students in my class are freshmen, I still think it’s important for them to start talking to employers,” Patterson said. “This gives the students the opportunity to make connections and to learn the skills needed for a successful job search.”

Photo cutline: Junior criminal justice major Damian Brooks talks with North Little Rock firefighter Gary Williams at Career Connections Day Wednesday.

One Comment »