News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Featured, Features

UALR Trojans score a ‘C’ on sexual health report

Submitted by Brooke Weller on October 22, 2010 – 8:36 am2 Comments

In an annual ranking of sexual health throughout American colleges, with a grade point average of 2.33, UALR managed a passing grade in sexual health.

According to the fifth annual Trojan Sexual Health Report Card, out of 141 colleges nationwide UALR ranked 88, an improvement over last year’s ranking of 104.

The colleges were graded across 12 health service categories including health center access, contraceptives availability and cost and sexual awareness programs.

Andrea Milligan, junior psychology major, said, “I love that health services [at UALR] will now give you birth control and an annual pap smear. They also have free condoms!”

Tony Rush, a junior studio art major, and his condom balloon sidekick.

All the Arkansas colleges listed in the report improved their rankings this year. The University of Arkansas at Fayetteville ranked 99, a slight improvement from their 101 ranking last year. Arkansas State climbed 10 spots ranking 126 this year.

According to a sex and STI/HIV education study by the Guttmacher Institute in January 2010, “The Trojan Sexual Health Report Card is provided as a tool to inspire students to make tangible change, and to take their school’s sexual health into their own hands.”

According to The College Agenda 2010 Progress Report, “America may be one of the most educated countries, but lags in sexual health among college-aged youth. While 15-24 year-olds account for only one fourth of sexually active Americans, they make up 48 percent of newly diagnosed sexually transmitted infections (STIs) each year.”

The top ten colleges on the Trojan report card are: Columbia University, Michigan State University, Ohio State University, University of Michigan, Brown University, University of Iowa, University of Oregon, Princeton University, Rutgers University and University of Minnesota.

According to an independent research firm Sperling’s BestPlaces, which conducted the study, “the reason Columbia came in number one is due to the school’s recent implementation of Ask Alice, which gives students the option to submit sexual health questions and receive answers anonymously online rather than going to the health center.”

“It’s understandable that Columbia would have a better score because of the Ask Alice program. A lot of students have questions about sexual problems, but are too embarrassed to go and ask someone. So having an online option is a great idea, and I really think it would be a wonderful idea to have something like that on campus,” said Ronney Mitchell, freshmen construction major.

2 Comments »

• Andrea says:

I wish I were a senior, and I’m definitley not a sign language interpreting major. lol

• This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the excellent work.