Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

Athlete Spotlight: Jenna Rutecki

Submitted by Jamila Brown on October 29, 2010 – 11:21 amNo Comment

Jenna Rutecki: Photo by Jamila Brown.

When picturing the freezing waters of Alaska, the last thought on many minds is diving in for a swim. Despite the cold, Jenna Rutecki, women’s swim team captain, managed to land herself a spot at UALR.

This junior from Juneauhas made quite a splash in her two years at UALR, setting two individual records in the backstroke and four relay records. Rutecki is currently a marketing major, but said she is still unsure of what she wants to do.

“The business school has a pre-requisite program, so that is really helping me discover what I like and don’t like,” she said. She added that she might follow in the footsteps of her mother who is a CPA.

“Whatever happens, I will definitely end up back on the west coast,” she said.

Though she misses the weather and people of Alaska, she said she loves shopping here. “There are no malls in Juneau!” she said.

There is also no Riviera Maya, a local Mexican restaurant on Fair Park Boulevard, where Rutecki is a regular.

“I was skeptical at first, but now I go there every day. It’s gotten to the point where they know me by name,” she said with a laugh.

Comments are closed.