News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

Athlete profile: Felipe Velazquez

Submitted by Jamila Brown on November 12, 2010 – 1:13 pmOne Comment

Velazquez (Courtesy of www.UALRTrojans.com)

Don’t be surprised if you don’t see senior golfer Felipe Velazquez around campus too much. This year alone he has played in more than 10 golf tournaments. In the latest tournament, he represented his home country of Venezuela against 72 other nations in the World Amateur Team Championship last month in Argentina.

“It was nice to be back in South America,” Velazquez said. “I got to hear real Latin music again.”

Golf has taken Velazquez all over the world from Central America to China and though he is a native of Caracas, Venezuela, he calls Little Rock home for now.  In his free time, he likes to dance, play soccer, and watch movies with friends.

“I try not to get too crazy,” Velazquez said with a laugh.

Velazquez, a business finance major, is planning to take a year off after graduation and then start applying to graduate schools in the U.S.  A proven hard worker, he has managed to keep up an impressive 3.7 GPA despite all his travel.

“My four years at UALR have been busy!” he said. “With golf for the school, golf for other leagues, classes and friends, I am ready for a break.”

One Comment »