News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Features

Virgin donor conquers fear

Submitted by Jennifer Ellis on February 5, 2011 – 1:53 pmNo Comment

Five first time donors helped save lives by donating blood Wednesday, Jan. 26, at one of several blood drives UALR will host this year.

Alex Brown, freshman political science major, faces his fear of needles at a blood drive hosted by UALR on Wednesday, Jan. 26. Photo by Jennifer Ellis.

The Forum followed first-time donor Alex Brown, freshman political science major, while he took a break from partying with the Pikes to conquer his fear of needles and give blood for the first time. Brown’s pal, sophomore radiology major, Alicia Glover went along for moral support and ended up donating for her first time too.

“That looks like a space ship,” Brown said of the apheresis machine that does the double red cell procurement. “It kind of sounds like one when it starts up,” said David Bronson, team supervisor for automated collections of the Greater Ozarks region of the American Red Cross.

After a lot of questions and a quick finger stick to determine his blood type, which Bronson told him was either O or B, Brown was asked to do the double red cell procurement because his blood type is in high demand.

With a tinge of jealousy Glover said, “I wanna have a cool blood type.”

Bringing friends along made for some interesting conversation. “I wonder what color Avatar blood is,” Brown said, to which Ashley Green, sophomore biology major replied, “Maybe it’s like Smurf blood.”

But aside from free snacks and joking around with his friends, Brown said, “Pike is into helping out the community any way we can.” He said he plans to “make the world a better place,” and giving blood “makes me feel real good. I’m saving lives.”

UALR will host the next blood drive April 6, in court two of the fitness center.

Comments are closed.