News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Headline, News

Missing student found; death ruled homicide

Submitted by Ricky Harris on October 17, 2011 – 12:17 pm10 Comments

Patricia GuardadoThe body of a woman found Oct. 16 in southern Pulaski County has been identified as the remains of a missing UALR student, according to Little Rock police.

In a statement released by the Little Rock Police Department, the body of Patricia Guardado, 20,  was found in a small pond off Highway 365, near Sweet Home, Ark., around noon. Authorities found the body floating in around two to three feet of water.

Guardado had been missing since Oct. 12. She was last seen leaving her residence at 7717 Raines Trail in Little Rock at 8:45 a.m. Her vehicle was found in the parking lot behind the Burger King on South University Avenue.

According to authorities, “very little information is known as to the circumstances involving her disappearance.”

The death has been ruled a homicide, but the ruling on the cause of death is still pending. Police declined to elaborate on evidence due to the ongoing investigation, but Little Rock Chief of Police Stuart Thomas did ask anyone with information to contact authorities. Crime Stoppers has offered a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the individual(s) involved in this homicide. Anyone with information is asked to contact 501-580-8706.

LRPD is collaborating with the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office as well as the UALR Department of Public Safety.

Authorities have urged all students, faculty and staff to continue to take basic safety precautions at all times, no matter where they are in public.

UALR Chancellor Joel Anderson expressed condolences on behalf of the university via email.

“Our worst fears have come true,” Anderson said. “I am shocked and saddened by this news. The hearts of all of us at the university go out to Patricia’s family and friends.”

Anderson also stated that the university will have counselors available for members of the UALR community “who are struggling with this tragic event.”

UALR will host a candlelight vigil at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 18, in the plaza area between the Donaghey Student Center and the Ottenheimer Library.

Little Rock Chief of Police Stuart Thomas (from left) addressed the media in reference to the discovery of the body of missing UALR student Patricia Guardado. Pulaski County Sheriff Doc Holladay and UALR Department of Public Safety Director Brad King are also pictured. Oct. 17, 2011. Photo by Matt Johnson.

10 Comments »

• caitlyn says:

God be with that family in these tough times. I didnt know her personally but I cry for her anyways. I hope her killer is brought to justice and given the same fate as her.

• Lisa Twillie-Woodruff says:

This is a terrible thing that happened to a UALR student. I personally would like to see the student patrols brought back. When I was an undergraduate in the ’90s UALR had students armed with walkie-talkies foot patrolling parking lots and the campus. I believe that bringing student patrols back could help discourage crime on and around campus – at the very least it could provide much needed eye witnesses.

• twitter followers says:

GOD bless her and their family. my feeling and all my prayers are with her and their family.

• Esperanza Brooks says:

It is sad that some times a tragedy like this opens our eyes to reality. There are not cameras in that parking lot. I thought UALR designated it a parking lot for students, I might be wrong. And even if there would have been cameras, they work after the fact. Student patrol and a guard in every access to campus would prevent a tragedy like this. Yes, nobody can cross the gates with a car but anybody can just walk-in. I do it every day because I live in a walk-in distance and no body ask me for my student ID or any other ID and that happens because no body is there keeping me safe. God has her safe now, no more pain for her but her family, her mother? Only God can help her. No parent should bury their child, goes against nature.
    Respectfully Submitted,
    Esperanza Brooks

• Angeln says:

Hallo. My condolences for the large family.

• Bronwyn says:

Please, tell me they did a DNA test to be sure that it’s her and not just someone that looks like her and is in her clothes. That would really throw off the investigation. I’m concerned because I heard this NPR broadcast and wonder if more cases could be solved if we redid the coroner system. There are no words to describe my sorrow at this terrible news. My heart goes out to the family. I have been praying for her and for them and will continue to do so.

• Bronwyn says:

For some reason, the URL for the broadcast didn’t make it into the above post. If anyone wants to listen to the broadcast, it’s .

• Bronwyn says:

Apparently, fingerprints were used to ID her. I’m glad something reasonably reliable was used. Since the URL won’t print, if anyone wants to listen to the NPR broadcast I referred to earlier, a Google search for “Coroners Don’t Need Degrees To Determine Death : NPR” will get you to the broadcast. My heart goes out to the family at this terrible time.

• SEO New York says:

Omg thats really horrible.. So sad about her.. She looks very pretty girl.. I hope that her killed will get punishment and will feel that pain like she felt… Rest In piece.

• lucrari de licenta says:

yes is very horrible and sad. i don’t want to thik about her parents…..rest in piece