News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Entertainment, Featured

Redbones brings Cajun to the Rock

Submitted by Grace Townsend on February 1, 2012 – 3:21 pmOne Comment

The bacon cheeseburger meatloaf with blackened mac and cheese. Photo by Grace Townsend.

If you are craving Cajun style food and can’t get to Louisiana, RedBones Downtown restaurant located in the River Market is the place for you. It gives you just the right spice and flavor to satisfy your Cajun cravings.

The first thing you’ll notice when you walk into the restaurant is the laid back, carefree atmosphere. The down-home Cajun ambiance expressed through New Orleans style paintings and the sound of the blues. The aromas that flow from the kitchen will make you think you’re in the middle of the French Quarter. The restaurant faces President Clinton Avenue and features full windows so you can watch people and cars pass by. The gleaming hardwood floors and dim lighting make you feel comfortable.

I was most impressed with the attentive and knowledgeable staff as well as the reasonably priced food. The menu boasts classic Cajun entrees such as Blackened Chicken & Dumplings ($12), Jambalaya Pasta ($12), Alligator Sauce Piquant ($14), and Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf ($11). All entrees are served with one side and a choice of melt-in-your-mouth cornbread or dinner roll.

You can also order one of their famous Po-Boy sandwiches with the choice of a shrimp, catfish, oyster, grilled chicken, debris roast beef or bacon cheeseburger meatloaf ($9). I highly recommend the bacon cheeseburger meatloaf that I sampled with the blackened mac and cheese. The meatloaf is cheese-filled and is covered in  creole sauce and spices, every delicious bite warmed my heart.

Photo by Grace Townsend

Redbones doesn’t stop at the food and atmosphere.  For a full-on Cajun experience, you can order a nice, cold Abita Purple Haze or Abita Amber ($3.75 each), Abita is brewed in Abita Springs, La. You can also order a RedBones original NOLA Margarita, Bone Rattler or Purple Kush (if you are 21 or older, of course).

Happy Hour is every day from 3 to 7 p.m. and offers $1 off beers, $1 off well drinks and wines and $2 off appetizers. Redbones also offers daily lunch specials, soup of the day, and a daily special side.

Redbones is open 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday.

Redbones is a great place for UALR students on a budget and also because of its location in the River Market.  The next time you feel the need for a little taste of Louisiana, head on down to Redbones.

One Comment »