News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Editorials

Seniors ready to take diplomas and run

Submitted by Melissa Ibbotson on April 20, 2012 – 6:34 amNo Comment

Graduation is just around the corner, which means tassels and robes, degrees and congratulations. Mine has been a long time coming, and I’m sure glad it’s almost here. I’m counting down the days.

There’s only so much studying one can do before your brain can’t take anymore and it explodes. I’m teetering on the edge, and I think I’ve already gone over a cliff or two. All I need is the gentle push of finals to send me flying into the abyss.

Don’t get me wrong, spring break helped. But since I’m graduating and not coming back next semester, my spring break was spent out of state for a job interview. That’s pretty stressful in itself, especially when it relates to your career and isn’t just some crackpot waitressing gig. I’ve had too many of those to want to go back again.

It’s not all bad. I’ve spent the past five years busting my rump for this degree and it is well deserved. And well received. But I’m sure all those about to cross the stage will agree when I say that it’s about damn time.

And what’s with the whole pomp and circumstance bit anyway? Where did that come from? I get the ceremony; I want to be recognized for my achievement. But it really is a lot of hoolabaloo for a piece of paper. Still I’m excited to dress up and show off in front of my family and friends. I’m ready to shake Dr. Anderson’s hand and say thank you very much for my expensive education.

So it’s back to counting and waiting and waiting and counting. Four weeks. Only four weeks. That’s less than 20 days of class and a few finals. Then one short walk and it’s over. Done. Finito. Sayonara. That’s all she wrote.

By the way, I got the job.

Comments are closed.