News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

To tweet or not to tweet? (Opposed)

Submitted by Grace Townsend on September 24, 2012 – 12:17 pm2 Comments

Twitter is a great way to keep up with friends, current events, and networking, but some coaches fear it is not for their players and they cannot use it.
Many student athletes around the country are being restricted by their coaches and universities to use this social-media source. It is absolutely ridiculous, if you ask me.
A coach telling an athlete they can’t tweet because they don’t want him/her to say something unintelligent or stupid is like saying, “hey I will trust you to win me games, but other than that I think you’re a total idiot and that I can’t trust what you are going to say off the field/court.”
If coaches and universities are worried about what a student athlete is going to say on a social network to begin with, then maybe the coaches should reconsider recruiting student athletes that are already coming in as a risk.


It amazes me that a player can get suspended for something they say on twitter but can fail a drug test or even get arrested and be able to return and play for the team at all.
I get people may argue that coaches are only trying to teach players discipline, but it sounds like restricting twitter because it is an easy way out and avoids having to deal with problem that isn’t even created.
Coaches also consider Twitter as a distraction to the team and for the student athlete.
Hey, I have a good idea. Since Twitter is such a distraction, how about coaches ban players from watching TV, having a girlfriend/boyfriend, or even doing any other extracurricular activities.
I have never been to a game or practice where I’ve seen a player tweeting on the sidelines.
For example, according to GamecockCentral.com, head football coach Steve Spurrier said, “Well, we have some dumb, immature players that put crap on their twitter, and we don’t need that. So the best thing to do is ban it.”
That is so rude and irrational to say about teammates. Student Athletes are the foundation and reason why coaches have a job in the first place.
Instead of banning Twitter, the smart thing to do is educate all student athletes on how to use a social network correctly in order to benefit from it.
If student athletes know the consequences beforehand, maybe they will reconsider tweeting certain things.
I do believe that if a student athlete is absurd in their tweeting, that disciplinary actions should take place. That is why education is key. These student athletes are in college aren’t they? Why not educate them on real life issues that affect people every day.
According to Buisnessinsider.com, only 11.6 percent of college student athletes will go pro and the rest of the 88.4 percent will have to get regular jobs.
Social networking is becoming more important each day and has become a must have for certain businesses. If student athletes are banned from twitter, it is only hurting their communication and networking skills. It’s a new day and age and twitter is here to stay.
Currently all UALR student athletes are allowed to have twitter, however, UALR athletes do attend educational meetings on how to use twitter and other social networks intelligently.

2 Comments »

  • Twitter is a great social networking website that provides users with the ability to share maximum information. Its users post status updates, news, jokes, events and other information.

  • Richard Hill says:

    I totally agree with what you say:

    To me the nub of the matter is “It amazes me that a player can get suspended for something they say on twitter but can fail a drug test or even get arrested and be able to return and play for the team at all.”

    Someone who cheats with drugs brings himself and the team into disrepute and into the mainstream media a lot of the time. A tweet is not only free speech (quite important!) and generally only seen by deeply interested parties who follow the player. So what if it’s dumb or immature?