Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Best of UALR

Best Academic Chair – George Jensen

Submitted by Alexis Williams on November 2, 2012 – 3:44 pmNo Comment

Jensen

UALR students voted George Jensen of Rhetoric and Writing as the Best Academic Chair of 2012.
A professor of several courses, including Composition and Advanced Nonfiction, Jensen does more than fulfill his duties as educator. Yet he manages to serve the UALR community as a senator in the Faculty Senate, in addition to chair and adviser of the Rhetoric and Writing department. In the past year, Jensen worked with the Bone Marrow Donor drive on campus and aided in a few political campaigns.
“He’s one of the finest men I know,” said Toran Isom, fellow department professor.
Jensen said he was attracted to UALR for its administrators who are decent, ethical people. They are concerned about students, and they treat faculty with respect even when there are sharp disagreements. In my experience, this is rare.
“We also have great students,” he said. “When we have speakers from other campuses, even the very best institutions in the world, they often say that they love our students.”
Students might recognize Jensen’s office in the University Writing Center by the plethora of eccentric window art, most notably his giant Radiohead poster. Jensen is quite the live music man, having attended a Radiohead concert in St. Louis and seen Wilco live four times.
“This fall, I have seen some good shows in town: Shonon Knife, Victor Wooten, and Matisyahu,” he said.
The chairman also said he is attempting to learn guitar.
“It’s a humbling experience, but it has given me more respected for what good musicians do,” he said.
Jensen enjoys biking and has been attempting to revive his blog democraticvistas.com, but he said finding time to write is difficult. He said that he used to fly-fish, but since it is a sport that takes “large chunks of time”, fly-fishing is not one he has endeavored in a decade.
George Jensen is the author of several books, including “The Philosophy of Discourse”, and most recently, “Some of the Words Are Theirs: A Memoir of an Alcoholic Family.”

Comments are closed.