News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Editorials

Arkansas lags behind, as usual

Submitted by Ricky Harris on November 19, 2012 – 2:40 pmOne Comment

Congratulations, Arkansas. Once again, you have managed to show the rest of the country how far behind we are.

And the same goes for the rest of the South, except Virginia and Florida. At least the commonwealth and the sunshine state have some sense.

In 2000, Arkansas went for George W. Bush, a republican, by 10.61 percent over the democrat, Al Gore.

In 2004, this margin between the republican and democrat shrunk to 9.76 percent.

But in 2008, when a charismatic, young Illinois democrat swept the national election, Arkansas voted for the republican by 19.86 percent. And last week, Mitt Romney took our state by 23.69 percent.

In terms of election results, those gains are tremendous.

Luckily, Arkansas isn’t anywhere near representative of the United States as a whole.

I find it hard to understand how voters can support a candidate who believes that 47 percent of the country doesn’t matter.

Oh, wait: I actually do understand. Right-wing voters in Arkansas think democrats are going to steal their guns and kill their babies. That would explain the radio ad I heard last week for Mack’s Prairie Wings in Stuttgart. It went something to the effect of “buy your guns now before it’s too late” in case Obama gets re-elected.

I hope everyone ran quick to get all those guns and ammo that the democrats and the president stole during Obama’s first term. Oh, wait …

And it’s not even just presidential politics. Take the medical marijuana initiative for example.  Colorado and Washington voters approved measures legalizing marijuana for recreational use. And Arkansas voters rejected a measure legalizing the same natural plant for medical use.

Come on, Arkansas. What is it going to take to get some sense knocked in to you?

One Comment »

• Stephen Ross says:

This article is extremely biased and I’m actually surprised that forum manages to publish this material. You use right extremists in order to shape your argument, without that, you have nothing. You attack former presidential nominee Romney without any foundation besides claiming that he is supported by right extremists who are worried about their guns. Maybe you should take an economics course and actually incorporate some content into your article.