News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » News

Freshman hears callback from ‘The Voice’

Submitted by Jennifer Ellis on February 14, 2013 – 3:05 pmNo Comment

A student in UALR’s Chancellor’s Leadership Corps may be headed to the blind auditions on NBC’s “The Voice,” after having received a callback at the show’s Houston open call auditions Saturday, Feb. 9.

After nine and half hours of waiting in line, 18-year-old Spencer Lloyd, freshman business finance major, said he was shocked to be picked for a callback from the thousands of people who auditioned at the open call.

“I was kind of in disbelief, because there were so many people there,” Lloyd said. “The caliber of all the singers that were there, and the few amount of callbacks that were given out — I was very surprised that I received a callback.”

Performing a cappella at the open call, Lloyd sang Adele’s “One and Only,” Bruno Mars’ “When I Was Your Man” and Bill Withers’ “Ain’t No Sunshine,” a song he had previously performed in a talent show.

“It was a totally different feeling,” Lloyd said, comparing the audition with leading the youth worship band at his church in Bryant.

“Everyone’s sitting there staring at you,” he said. “It’s very nerve wracking. You get in there and you realize that you’re the center of attention and there’s nothing, no music or anything to get in between that. It’s just raw voice.”

A fellow CLC scholar, Korey Fells, joined Lloyd in Houston to play piano during his callback audition at 6:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 12.

In an interview Monday morning, Lloyd said if he does make it onto the show,  he expects his biggest challenge to be focusing and making sure that distractions don’t get in the way. As far as which coaches’ team he prefer to be on, he said he’d just like to be picked.

“Whoever is going to help me the most,” he said. “They are all great and they all have great accomplishments, so I would really love to be on anyone’s team.”

Season four of “The Voice” premieres at 7 p.m. Monday, March 25, with coaches Adam Levine, Blake Shelton and new additions Usher and Shakira, who replace CeeLo Green and Christina Aguilera.

“I’m thankful for all the support that I’ve received from all the people around me,” Lloyd said. “All the support on Facebook and Instagram and the texting — everyone’s been giving me major support for this. I hope that it continues.”

Comments are closed.