Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Entertainment

‘Cathartic’ band to rock Rev Room

Submitted by Alexis Williams on January 28, 2014 – 10:07 amNo Comment

Courtesy of Fresno Media

Metalcore band “Cathercist” is scheduled to play with headliner American Head Charge at Revolution Music Room on Sunday,  Feb. 2. The band’s Rev Room show marks its first stop in AHC’s transamerican “Shoot Tour Part III”.

Cathercist is an up-and-coming band from Mississippi that has toured with the likes of Avenged Sevenfold, Three Days Grace, and Seether. The current lineup includes vocalist Zack Sawyer, guitarists Taylor Roberts and Daniel Ferguson, Mikhail Cintgran on bass, and Matt Marciana on drums.

Sawyer, who hails from Mobile, Alabama, recently spoke to The Forum in a phone interview about the where the band came from, where they are now, and where they are going.

“The name ‘Cathercist’ is a play-off of “catharcist”, which is someone who purges oneself of emotion through music or other artform. So we feel like that is a good description,” Sawyer said.  Sawyer  joined Cathercist four years and has seen much of the band’s evolution.

“We’ve all just kind of come in added our flavors,” Sawyer said.

Sawyer said that the band’s hybrid blend of genres puts them at an odd place in terms of  “genre”.

“People like to say we are hard-rock or metal or metalcore, but we don’t really know what to consider ourselves. It’s definitely a heavier rock or metal.”

Sawyer cites Sevendust, All That Remains, The Misfits, and Coheed & Cambria as influences in the music of Cathercist. As a child, Sawyer said that Smashing Pumpkins was his favorite band. “I’d never even heard of metal,” he said.

Many people today forget that a rock band is more than a group of guys playing noisy music; it is catharsis for the members of the band and the audience alike.

“Our stage shows are really the most fun to me. I get to run around on stage and make faces at people. It’s a lot of fun,” Sawyer said.

For many bands, their life experiences find their way into their music. Sawyer related his experience with the Marines to The Forum.

“I spent some time in the United States Marine Corps, and the one thing that I can take away from that is to finish things I start. When you start a task, do it to the fullest, and make that happen. I couldn’t honestly say that I’d completed a song and said, ‘This is it. I’m done with this,’ until I’d had the training [from the Marines]. I’m grateful for those things. They have helped me with my drive and ambition to pursue a very difficult road [in music] with Cathercist.”

Cathercist is on iTunes and all available internet outlets. They have two records out right now: “As Hope Expires” released this year and “The Untimely Death of Zack Sawyer” in 2011.

“More to come!” Sawyer said. “Something a student can count on at our show is ENERGY. If you wanna see a band take full control of the stage, then come hang out with us.”

Students can “hang out” and hear Cathercist live on Feb. 2 at the Revolution Music Room. For tickets, call (501) 823-0090 or visit RevRoom.com.

Comments are closed.