News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Sports

Conference honors help motivate Lady Trojan

Submitted by Clayborn Waters on February 3, 2014 – 4:11 pmNo Comment
Taylor Gault leads the team in scoring and is currently shooting 35 percent from three-point range and 83 percent from the free-throw line.

photo by Nelson Chenault

UALR junior guard Taylor Gault was named Sun Belt Conference Player of the Week after scoring 50 points in two conference victories against South Alabama and Troy.  The SBC made the announcement Monday Jan. 13.

“It’s pretty cool. I didn’t expect it, but it’s an honor. I’m very humble about it,” said Gault. “It just motivates me to work harder and stay consistent,” Gault said.

Gault led the Lady Trojans with a season-high 27 points in a 61-42 win over South Alabama and 23 points in a 69-52 win over Troy.

She was also honored Sun Belt Conference Madness Player of the Week by CollegeSportsMadness.com. The Conway, Ark. native is currently the leading scorer for the Lady Trojans with 14.4 points per game.
Taylor is the first UALR player to be named the Sun Belt Conference Player of the Week this season. She explained that the award motivates her leadership and to play harder every game.

“It motivates me to be more of a leader and to just go harder every game and practice is where it starts. Hopefully, it carries over to the game and that my leadership will rub off on my teammates. If that motivates me, maybe me working hard will motivate them,” Gault said.
On Jan. 18 she finished with 21 points in a 61-59 loss against conference newcomer Georgia State and bounced back to score 23 points in a 77-70 victory over Texas State, another conference newcomer, on Jan. 22.
The junior guard said her goal was to focus on her team and Sun Belt Conference Player of the Year. “That’s what I’ve been striving for,” Gault said. “That definitely a goal for me. I’m just trying to, first off, stay consistent and help my team win first. I figure if we win, everything will fall into place.”
In the 2011 season, Gault was named Sun Belt Conference Freshmen of the Year after finishing as the team’s leading scorer with 16 points per game.  She helped to lead the Lady Trojans to a 23-10 record and the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Last season, she finished her sophomore year with 13.9 points per game, including a career-high 33 points in a season-opener win against  Tulsa.
Going into the Jan. 25 game at Arkansas State, Taylor was 56 points away from reaching 300 for the season and only 14 away from reaching 1,000 points scored in her three-year career at UALR.
The Lady Trojans are 9-9 on the season and 4-4 in Sun Belt Conference play after a 77-45 loss to Arkansas State.  The Lady Trojans face Louisiana at home Wednesday Jan. 28.

Comments are closed.