News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » News

Diamond Cafe gets a makeover

Submitted by Hillary Perkins on February 26, 2014 – 11:06 amOne Comment

UALR’s Donaghey Student Center has a new and improved floor in the diamond café.

Photo by Brandon Batemon

The project started on December 17, 2013 and was completed January 6, 2014.  Prior to the makeover, there were patches in the floors and, in some parts, the material was coming up.

Logan Hampton, the interim vice0-chancellor, said that a request was sent to provide funds to remodel the floor last year. He has also mentioned that the Chancellor provided the funds through General Improvement Funds. GIFs are funds received from the state of Arkansas to repair facilities. The ECO Construction Company remodeled the DSC floors.

According to UALR’s data for the flooring replacement, the total cost of the remodeling was $98,442. Of that amount, $82,840 was provided by GIF. The difference from to total cost and the funds provided by GIF came from the Donaghey Student Center and Sinking Funds. In the walk-in area of the DSC, the rubberized floor was replaced with vinyl flooring that looks like wood. This flooring is known as Resilient Flooring. In the serving area, the epoxy floor coating.

The Director of Planning and Capital construction, Andrijana Vukovich  led the project on behalf of the university. She has been with UALR since 2010. “I think it’s great and makes the space warm and inviting for our new and returning students,” Vukovich said.

“This is a main concern for students because they want to eat in a nice place,” said Oliver Brown, director of the Donaghey Student Center. Brown started out at UALR as a student who worked in the housekeeping department. He supervises the conference services, environmental services, information services bookstore and dinning services and budget management. He also addresses contract issues.

There has been no remodeling to the kitchen since 2003. At that time, the entire kitchen was remolded.

Vukovich explained the process of the remodeling project. The facilities department works with whatever department is requesting a construction project to get an idea of how they want to do the project. From there, the Facilities department brings in designers to prepare drawings from the other department’s ideas. Also, they bring in the contractors to get started on the project. Vukovich and Assistant Director John McCain monitor the project.

Dave Millay, the Associate Vice Chancellor, said that they hired an architect to measure the floors and figure what material will be needed. He also mentioned that the amount of square foot of the floors as well as the labor of the project adds up to the amount of money estimated for remodeling the floors.

“I think it will wear well. I think the job was well done,” Millay said.

One Comment »

• Ashley says:

I love that the college is focusing on the needs of the students. When I went on my college tours, a big factor was the appearance and meal options in the dining hall. That cafeteria looks beautiful.