News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Entertainment

Señor Tequila offers hit-or-miss experiences

Submitted by Alyssa Causey on March 11, 2014 – 12:11 pmNo Comment

I have eaten at Senor Tequila more times than I could possibly even begin to fathom. Hands down, I’ve eaten at the three Little Rock locations more than any other restaurant—not just the Central Arkansas area—but anywhere ever.

Generally, this is not by choice. The reasonably priced food, particularly their lunch menu, entices friends and family to choose this restaurant. Sometimes I contend, but it is often a battle I lose.

Like most diners, I have the habit of eating more complimentary chips and salsa than I am proud to admit. I fall into the “Oh gee, it’s free! I would be crazy not to take advantage of this,” ruse. Surely, this trick, employed by virtually all Mexican restaurants, is in this way a redeeming quality of Senor Tequila. The service is generally fast, efficient and friendly. Each establishment is spotless and clean. They are fitted with full bars that serve alcohol and large flat-screen televisions. Happy hour is between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. every day.

What on the menu haven’t I eaten? Maybe just the items on the kids’ menu, although I am sometimes tempted at ordering. Perhaps a cheeseburger from a Mexican restaurant wouldn’t be so bad? (CHECK TO SEE IF THEY HAVE THIS ON MENU). Most entrée items are served with rice and or refried beans. The rice is just that: rice. It’s not particularly flavorful. The refried beans are no different.

As for entrees, I’ve had some good, some bad, and some somewhere in between. What I can’t seem to wrap my mind around is the fact that most things taste exactly the same. It’s difficult to discern between a burrito and an enchilada or a soft taco from a chimichanga. Flour tortillas here, flour tortillas there. Red sauce here, red sauce there. What is this red sauce, I wonder? But for a mere 75 cents more, you can substitute cheese sauce. I doubt that genuine Mexican food swims in a sea of cheese, but that doesn’t stop me, and many others, from accepting the substitution when offered by the server.

The Chile Rellenos are hit and miss. Sometimes I enjoy it and others I only taste fried batter. The “Burrito Tequila” is enormous and definitely fills the void of an empty stomach. It is reasonably priced and worth it for the amount of food you receive. Feeling especially brave, I once ordered the Huevos Con Chorizo. Loving both scrambled eggs and chorizo, I ceaselessly combed my meal for bits of chorizo larger than a grain of rice but to no avail. I once made the mistake of ordering Juanito’s Salad. It arrived as follows: No more than an ounce of incredulously thin amount of chicken breast limply lying atop shredded tasteless lettuce.

I give props to Senor Tequila for its variety of vegetarian-friendly options. Granted, these essentially consist of beans and cheese. The vegetarian fajitas don’t pretend to be anything that they aren’t: everything great about fajitas with the sad exception of chicken or shrimp.

Senor Tequila is irrefutably successful. The food is decent in both price and taste. Surely, this is how they have managed to establish a concrete clientele. I’ve heard it said that the opposite of love, admiration and affection is not hate; it is indifference. The quality and the quantity of the food at Senor Tequila induce a solid “meh”.

Senor Tequila’s three Little Rock locations are 10300 N. Rodney Parham Rd., 2000 S. University Ave., and 14524 Cantrell Rd.

Comments are closed.