News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Home » Campus Life

Major spotlight: mathematics

Submitted by Christopher Gardner on February 12, 2016 – 3:29 pmNo Comment

The mathematics major is offered by the Department of Mathematics and Statistics. This major prepares students for careers in industry, public service, and education. Majoring in mathematics also prepares students in the degree program for master’s and Doctorate programs.
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics offers four baccalaureate programs. They offer a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics, Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics, Bachelor of Science in Mathematics with a Secondary Education Option, and a Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics with a Secondary Education Option.
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics also offers two higher levels of degrees; a Master of Sciences in Mathematical Sciences and through the Applied Science Department you can obtain a Ph.D. in Applied Science.
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics also offers a minor in mathematics. “A student may also think about a minor in mathematics which would include Calculus 1-3, Introduction to Proof, and two more upper level math courses,” said Denise LeGrand,Senior Instructor and the MAC Coordinator.
A special service for not only mathematics majors, but also anyone needing help with math, is the Mathematics Assistance Center. Tutoring through the MAC lab is free to students.
“I hope to assist our math majors in the understanding of mathematics and show them its real-life applications. Since my office is right inside the MAC, I can visit with students daily and encourage and motivate them in learning math. I sit down with them and help if they have a math problem, or I can talk about where a math degree can take them in the future and anything in between,” LeGrand said.
The Mathematics and Statistics Department offer a multitude of scholarships for mathematics majors and minors. Many scholarships are based on performance in math classes as well as financial aid needs. Scholarships information can be found at ualr.edu.

Comments are closed.