News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Home » Opinions

ISIS is not a normal enemy

Submitted by Brian Gregory on March 28, 2016 – 9:44 amNo Comment

I am going to be honest, this is a very hard topic for me. On one hand, this group called ISIS is killing Christians, Yazidis and other ethnic groups. They are killing people by the thousands.

On the other hand, there are so many people that I know, whether they are friends or people in general, that do not represent anything that ISIS represents.

This notion that we can just kill all the terrorists and everything will as good as new is a stupid and idiotic idea.

Let’s get a couple of things straight first. Number one is that ISIS is in the minority of Muslims.

While terrorism is a big threat, I am certainly not one to say that it is overblown, but many politicians and people in general act like every single Muslim on the planet is a terrorist.

This, again, is not true. ISIS is a group that thrives on hate, misinterpretation and fear. Republicans and Democrats feed into that fear, saying that we will kill every single terrorist.

This is not the way to go about trying to defeat an enemy. You cannot defeat terrorists by killing every single one of them. The only thing you will breed are more terrorists, and these terrorists will be more dangerous than ISIS, just like ISIS is more dangerous than Al-Qaeda. Violence only begets more violence.

I am not saying we take a completely peaceful approach either; there will have to be some type of military action involved.

I honestly don’t what that would be. It could be drone strikes, bombing campaigns, but it can’t be boots on the ground. Even then, that could be detrimental to peace in the Middle East.

What we need to do is provide these countries with the tools they need. Allow the countries to be deterministic, to forge their own destinies.

They are people just like we are and if we, as Americans, stop espousing hatred and hypocrisy maybe we could see a change in the Middle East. They are our fellow human beings and should be treated as such.

Comments are closed.