News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Home » Entertainment, Features

From script to screen: August Wilson’s ‘Fences’ gives a remarkable performance

Submitted by Brittany Owens on January 20, 2017 – 10:56 pmNo Comment

The film “Fences” brought more emotions than anyone could ever imagine. “Fences” is film about a father trying to come to terms with the outcome of his life. Set in Pittsburg in the 1950’s, the film focuses on Troy Maxson, a waste collector, and his relationships with his wife, two sons, and brother.

The film is an adaptation of a 1983 screenplay written by August Wilson. It was directed by Denzel Washington, who played Troy. Washington also played the lead role when the screenplay was revived on Broadway in 2010. Also starring in the film is Viola Davis, from ABC’s How to Get Away with Murder, as Rose, Troy’s wife of 18 years.

Both Washington and Davis did phenomenal jobs portraying their characters. They help the audience relate to Troy and Rose as real people and give an idea of the mindset of African-American people in the years segregation was commonly practiced.

The supporting actors who played Troy’s sons, Lyons, played by Russell Hornsby from ABC Family’s Lincoln Heights, and Cory, played by Jovan Adepo from HBO’s The Leftovers, and his best friend Jim Bono, played by Stephen McKinley Henderson who has starred in several August Wilson plays, also did outstanding jobs in the film.

But Mykel T. Williamson, who you might remember as Uncle George from ATL, performed the best supporting role, in my opinion. While the other supporting actors helped tell the story behind Troy’s actions as a father and husband, Williamson’s character Gabriel, Troy’s brother, helped to show a different side of the main character.

Williamson’s performance was probably the most captivating to me. Of course, I was pleased by Washington and Davis’ performances, but to see this actor that I recognize from Waiting to Exhale and ATL, play a war veteran suffering from a head injury that left him mentally ill, was unexpected and ultimately mind-blowing.

Ultimately the actors’ performances were undeniable and left the box office overflowing.

The prerelease of the film exceeded the box office expectations the first weekend. On Christmas day, “Fences” grossed $6.7 million. By the end of the second day, the movie made $11.5 million. So far, “Fences” has grossed $45.9 million in the month since its release.

“Fences” is still in theaters. There are several theaters in Little Rock to choose from. Rave Cinema’s on Colonel Glenn Road gives student discounts. I highly recommend a movie date to see this film.

Comments are closed.