Welcome to the Department of World Languages at UALR, the first program in the United States nationally accredited by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL).
We are also Arkansas’ only undergraduate and graduate foreign language teacher education programs nationally recognized by ACTFL/CAEP (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation).
The Department of World Languages provides programs of study that educate students to live, work, and lead in a complex, technological, and diverse world. The department sees its role as one that prepares our diverse students to become global citizens who will lead the state of Arkansas in the globalized community of the 21st Century.
The vision for the Department of World Languages is to:
- provide opportunities for students to acquire languages and cultural competencies as necessary skills and knowledge
- create signature experiences for students such as faculty-led study abroad programs, structured internships, and service learning
- reaffirm the essential role of second language knowledge for all university-educated people
- leverage for our accreditation of the undergraduate world language and graduate Master of Arts in Second Languages programs and our national recognition status to enhance visibility throughout the state
- foster partnerships and relationships in various communities to advance the university’s global initiatives and to prepare students to be informed global citizens
- engage our diverse student population to ensure that all students have the opportunity to become global citizens
- respond nimbly to rapidly changing demographics and demands for language learning
- empower students to acquire attitudes, values, and skills that enhance cross-cultural communication