In the Ottenheimer Library’s Vision Statement we commit ourselves to three areas of excellence. Working from these general areas, we have articulated the following more targeted strategic actions for 2009 – 2012.
Build and maintain collections that support faculty and students in their teaching, learning, and research. (Ottenheimer Library Vision Number 1)
- Implement the Association for Research Libraries Collection Analysis Project (CAP).
- Clarify Acquisitions and Collection Development roles and responsibilities and update job descriptions.
- Update collection development policy
- Create guidelines and provide information and training for subject selectors, establishing a regular meeting schedule.
- Streamline procedures for the selection, acquisition, and maintenance of materials in all formats.
- Learn about and optimize the use of statistics available from vendors.
- Review the budget allocation planning process and fund allocation procedures.
- Inventory the Library’s collections.
- Investigate patron-driven acquisitions.
Create a state-of-the-art library facility to enhance academic teaching, learning and research at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. (Ottenheimer Library Vision Number 4)
- Update Disaster Manual.
- Review UALR Disaster Manual
- Review other Library Disaster Manuals
- Work with Facilities Management on current emergency exit routes
- Review furniture needs
- Request current furniture quotes
- Request funding for comfortable furniture and study table chairs
Develop and maintain a state-of-the-art online environment and infrastructure to deliver library resources and services to the university community. (Ottenheimer Library Vision Number 1)
- Investigate emerging library technologies and technology trends
- Identify technologies applicable to the library.
- Promote the awareness of library technology trends with library faculty/staff.
- Review background and current resources/infrastructure of library and campus.
- Conduct library technology needs assessment.
- Identify technology vision, goals and objectives.
- Finalize plan and deliver to Dean.
- Coordinate ongoing review and updating of website content.
- Analyze user input though usability testing and Google Analytics data.
- Include additional instructional and marketing content on the website.
- Enhance the databases section to permit clearer description and user instruction.
- Develop page ownership structure and policies/procedures for Web content development and maintenance.
- Review and redeploy the mobile website within the WordPress environment.
- Maximize Summon search functionality on the website.
- Investigate the addition of other collections to One Search results.
- Review/update database customization and branding.
- Revise 360 Link resolver screens based on recommendations.
- Review/update catalog interface via Innovative’s OPAC refresher.
- Maximize the use of Adobe® InDesign® to create electronic news announcements and enhance marketing outreach capabilities.
- Coordinate placement and posting of library news, announcements, and other promotional information on the library’s website, flat screens, Facebook, Twitter and other campus outlets.
- Pursue implementing recommendations made regarding branding guidelines.
- Work with a variety of University constituencies to market the Library’s activities, resources and services.