Skip to the page content Skip to primary navigation Skip to the search form Skip to the audience-based navigation Skip to the site tools and log-in Information about website accessibility

Master of Arts in Professional and Technical Writing

Special Admission

Graduate students are not required to be fully admitted to our MA program before taking graduate-level courses with us.  If you apply for “special” admission status with UALR’s Graduate School (also known as “non-degree-seeking”) and are accepted, you may then take up to 9 hours of coursework in Professional and Technical Writing.  Should you wish to take more than those 9 hours, you must then apply for regular admission to the program.

You should consider applying for admission as a non-degree-seeking graduate student if one or more of these circumstances applies to you:

  1. You do not need financial aid in order to begin taking courses.  Only students who are fully admitted to a graduate program are eligible for teaching assistantships, research or administrative assistantships, graduate scholarships, or federal aid.
  2. You need more time to compile your departmental application materials (cover letter, resume, writing samples, and letter of recommendation), but you want to begin coursework right away.  It’s quick and easy to apply for admission as a special status student; you will be accepted as long as you have a bachelor’s degree and a GPA of 2.75 or above.  Your acceptance can be processed in just a few short days, so you can quickly be advised and register for courses.
  3. You aren’t sure whether the MA in Professional and Technical Writing is the right program for you, so you’d like to try a few courses before applying for full admisssion.
  4. It’s been several years since you were last in school, and you don’t have many current writing samples or people who know your writing well enough to write letters of recommendation for you.  Special admission allows you to develop graduate-level writing samples, make a good impression on professors who might recommend you, and begin taking classes that can be applied to your MA requirements if you decide to seek full admission.

For more information on how to apply as a special admission student, visit the UALR Grad School website, or fill out this form to request help.

If you are planning to apply for special status admission, it’s a good idea to meet with the PTW graduate coordinator to help you choose the courses best suited for your educational goals.  Email Dr. Kuralt at to arrange an appointment.

Updated 7.26.2010