Did you Know?
- Computer occupations are one of the 30 fastest growing occupations
- Computer occupations are expected to be occupations of largest employment growth from 2006 to 2016.
- Employment of computer systems analysts is expected to increase 18 to 26 percent by 2014.
- Through 2014, 3 out of 10 jobs will be created in the computer field.
- Through 2014, 5 out of the top 12 high growth rate occupations are in the computer field.
- The Computer and Information Systems Managers occupation is projected to grow faster than the average of all occupations through 2014.
- Computer -related employment has been more resilient to economic forces than the general employment market.
The Management Information Systems (MIS) major develops competencies in analysis, design, development, and management of business information systems. The program emphasizes development of computer applications in a business environment and effective use of computer resources to meet organizational objectives. Technical competencies coupled with a knowledge of all areas of business developed in the major (accounting, economics, finance, management, and marketing) will prepare graduates for career advancement in todayâ€™s rapidly changing business environment.
The MIS degree provides graduates with:
- Systems Development
- Database Design/Management
- Programming (procedural and object-oriented languages)
- Telecommunications and Network Design/Administration
- Information Security
- Software Applications
- Information Resources Management
UALRâ€™s MIS program combines information technology (IT) and business courses to give graduates an advantage over other IT professionals for success in this dynamic career field. MIS graduates fill a growing need for information systems professionals who are well prepared to meet the technical and managerial demands of the IT industry. MIS degree holders gain the knowledge and skills to acquire positions such as business/systems analyst, database analyst/designer, applications programmer, telecommunications analyst/administrator,technical trainer, project manager, and other professional positions in all types of public and private sector organizations. Program graduates (U.S. and international students) are actively recruited by corporations worldwide.
The MIS degree is available in both classroom and hybrid (partial online) degree formats.