Your program advisor or the military ombudsman will offer guidance about the course options available to you each semester.
The Academic Year
The unit of credit is the semester hour. This unit is defined as credit earned for the completion of one hour per week in class for one semester. Two hours or more of laboratory work per week for one term equals one-semester hour of credit. UALR offers night and weekend courses, web-based courses, courses on campus and at various off-campus locations. Admission requirements, fees, and academic performance for night and weekend classes are the same as for day classes.
Online Registration Guide and Class Search
The UALR Registration Guide and Class Search websites contain information on the web registration process and lists the courses that will be offered during specific semesters by course, time, location, and instructor. At the Office of Records and Registration website, you can also find the academic calendar, the final examination schedule, and deadlines for various activities during the semester.
UALR Credit Hour Limit: Please be aware that students may not enroll for more than 18 credit hours in a regular semester (Fall or Spring) or more than 7 credit hours in a five-week Summer term without prior permission of the person who approves his or her degree plan.
Courses and programs are also offered through web-based delivery as well as at off-campus locations. Off-campus and online credit courses are identified by location in the UALR Registration Guide and Class Search.
Examples of a typical course entry and an explanation of each part of this listing is provided below. The format of the information may vary depending on which view of the student schedule you use, but the meaning of each component will be the same.
- CRN: 14144 – The five-digit course reference number (CRN) assigned for registration. The five-digit CRN number is necessary for registration and is not the same as the course number.
- Subject: RHET – The department or curriculum area with its assigned four-letter code. In this case, it is “HIST” for “History.”
- Course Number: 1311 – The course number assigned by the department. It indicates the level and number of credit hours for the course. Note: The second number indicates the semester hours. This class is 3 semester credit hours.
- Section: 9U2 – The section number assigned by the department. This number indicates it is online.
- Title: Hist Of Civilization I – The course title. Abbreviated versions of longer course titles may be used. Descriptions of all courses appear within their respective departments in numerical order by course number.
- Available Seats: 6 – This is the total number of students that may sign up for this class.
- Online Class – This is an online classes.
- Instructor: Moore, Sarah L – The name of the instructor assigned to this class. If the word “Staff” appears here, the teacher for the class had not yet been assigned at the time the schedule was prepared.
Registering for Classes using BOSS
Once you have successfully logged into your BOSS account, choose the Student Services option from the menu. From there, choose the Registration option from the menu. This will bring you to the registration page, which will provide you with a registration-focused menu. From this page you will choose Register/Search for Classes.
The system will ask you to specify which term you would like to register for. Once you choose the appropriate term you will be brought to the class search page.
Choose your subject from the list provided and click the Course Search button. A list of courses should appear at this point. You will need to click on the View Sections button next to the course that you are interested in registering for in order to view all of the available meeting times for that course.
As you review the meeting times for your course, you should look to the left of each class and check for the following:
- A checkbox: This means that you can register for this course.
- C: Closed. All available seats have been taken.
- NR: No Registration. Registration is currently not available at this time.
- SR: Student Restriction. You may not register for any courses until certain issues are resolved. Choose the View Registration Status option from the bottom of the page to find out the status of your account.
- Nothing: You are currently registered for this course.
You will need to click on the checkbox of the class (classes) that you want to take. You will then go to the bottom of the page and click on the Register button.
Some things to note:
Web-based courses have a building designation of “Web” and courses offered at other locations will note the other location in the building designation and comments (for example, courses offered at Benton, Arkansas have a building designation of “BNTN”). Courses offered in these locations are typically last in the list of meeting times. This information is usually to the far right of your screen.
Some courses have both a lecture and a lab that must be taken during the same semester. To register for these types of course, you will need to place a check next to both classes before you click on the Register button
If you have been given an override from your advisor or instructor to register for a course, you will not be able to register for the course utilizing the Register/Search for Classes menu in BOSS. Instead, you’ll need to go to the Student Services tab in BOSS, then follow the link to Registration. Once you are in the Registration menu, then choose the Add/Drop Classes link. Once you are at the Add/Drop Classes screen, you can enter the CRN of the course for which you’ve been provided an override in the “Add Classes Worksheet “ area of this page in the boxes provided, then click “Accept Changes.”