Why Study Voice at UALR?
Quality of Faculty
The faculty are nationally and internationally recognized in their fields of expertise. They provide students with an educational environment both demanding and supportive, and their success is evidenced by the graduates who have left and begun careers such as public school teachers, professional performers, conductors, college and university professors, music therapists, composers, scholars, administrators, and private music teachers.
Quality of Musical Education
Students are exposed to a broad spectrum of masterpieces of choral repertoire accompanied by professional orchestras. In addition, students have the opportunity to be featured as soloists for these major works. The combination of high expectations and hard work enables students to produce a polished, professional sound in their performances.
Performance and Employment Opportunities
UALR is located in the cultural capital of Arkansas, which offers students the chance to be involved with major community arts organizations and a broader range of job opportunities, including
- Musical theatre performances at The Rep, The Weekend Theater, and Murry’s Dinner Playhouse
- Musical theatre and opera performances at Wildwood Park for the Performing Arts
- Preparation for advanced music study (e.g., Manhattan School of Music)
- Full-time or part-time positions as section leaders and soloists in Little Rock area churches,
- Full-time or part-time positions teaching music at local high schools and community colleges
The tone of the program is both competitive and collaborative – competitive in the sense that the faculty members expect students to meet high standards for quality of performance, collaborative in the sense that each student receives one-to-one attention from the faculty and support and encouragement from fellow music students. Students become part of a community that celebrates and promotes musical excellence.