The Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) online degree program prepares social workers for advanced practice and leadership roles. The 60-hour online program particularly focuses on clinical social work practice, where students will learn contemporary, evidence-informed practice approaches that can be used across a wide range of settings and with diverse individuals, families, and groups.
This nationally accredited program can be completed in three years, which includes the completion of both course work and field internships. Please note that field internships must be completed in-person. Field placements are determined by the MSW field coordinator, in conjunction with the student, and every attempt is made to find a suitable placement in, or near, your geographical location.
Required Courses (60 hours)
Note: Each online course will require students to meet for five synchronous sessions (via Adobe Connect) throughout each semester. See the degree plan or contact the program advisor for more information.
Candidates must meet the following requirements for admission to this program:
• Baccalaureate degree with a liberal arts perspective from an accredited college or university.
• Overall GPA of 3.0
• Satisfactory scores on either the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Miller’s Analogy Test (MAT) taken within the last five years. Test scores must be received before an admission decision can be made.
• Narrative statement of professional orientation. (Format is included in the application packet.)
• Acceptable references indicating a propensity for both academics and social work practice.
• Three form letters of reference from professional, academic, or volunteer associates. (Forms are included in the application packet.)
• Volunteer, employment, and other life experiences relevant to the career choice of social work.
• Official transcripts with degree posted prior to the student’s enrolling in a graduate level course.
Read more about the UALR Graduate School admissions process here.
The M.S.W. curriculum consists of 60 hours of graduate work, including 36 foundation and concentration hours, and six elective hours. Internships are an integral part of the curriculum design, totaling 18 hours of coursework or 1200 practice hours by graduation.
Students must be physically present at their internship location; this portion of the MSW cannot be completed online, but the location may be chosen near the student by the MSW internship coordinator.
Please note that each online course will require students to meet for five synchronous sessions (via Adobe Connect) throughout each semester. See the degree plan on the Social Work website or contact the program advisor for more information.
Dr. Catherine Crisp | 501.569.3053 | email@example.com
Associate Professor and M.S.W. Coordinator
The M.S.W. program is fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
UALR is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, affiliated with the Electronic Campus of the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB), and designated as “doctoral/research intensive” by the Carnegie Foundation.
UALR makes every effort to meet special accommodation and access needs. For information on specific accommodations for individuals with disabilities, you may contact the department sponsoring the class you wish to attend, call eLearning at 501.569.3003, or the Office of Disability Support Services at 501.569.3143. The Disability Support Services website,ualr.edu/disability/, provides information about the accommodation process and online forms to apply for services.
- Cost per credit hour: $383