Independent Study Proposal
Independent Study (RHET 7150, 7250, 7350) Information
- If you want a professor to direct an independent study, you need to submit a proposal to him/her before you can expect him/her to say “yes.”
- The proposal (in memo format) should specify the topic and your interest in the topic; it should also state the purpose and scope for the project and, if applicable, the tentative thesis.
- In addition, the memo should include a working bibliography.
- The proposal, then, becomes a contract between you and the professor, a contract that specifies what you will read and write.
- After you and the professor have signed the proposal (contract), make two copies and give the original to the professor for safekeeping in his/her files.
- Give/send a copy to the Graduate Coordinator; keep the last copy for your files.