Writers of nonfiction in all its forms—creative nonfiction, personal essays, research essays, academic writing, journalistic features, technical communication, and other genres—are encouraged to submit, to have their work double-blind peer-reviewed, and, depending on the outcome of the review, to have their work published. Quills & Pixels does not review or publish poetry, fiction, or drama.
Who can participate?
Quills & Pixels is open to all writers associated with the UALR community—students, staff, and faculty, as well as alumni of the university and persons involved in any of UALR’s outreach and community programs. The editorial staff welcomes submissions from persons affiliated with UAMS, with the William H. Bowen School of Law, and with the Clinton School of Public Service.
Writers may submit more than one essay per issue. Submissions should adhere to the following guidelines:
- Submissions must be original, unpublished nonfiction work.
- Do not include your name anywhere on or in the writing (use a pseudonym if your name appears in the writing).
- A title must appear on the first page and may also be used as a header, along with the page number, at the tops of subsequent pages.
Submitting your work
Writers should submit one electronic copy attached as a Microsoft Word file to an email addressed to Dr. Barbara L’Eplattenier (email@example.com) or to another member of the editorial board. Do not submit the only copies of your work, as submissions will not be returned.
- Quills & Pixels submission form
- A submission form must accompany each submission with accurate contact information. Submissions without contact information will not be considered.
We prefer electronic submissions, but will accept hard copies if electronic files are not available. Writers’ Network drop boxes are located in the University Writing Center (SU-B 116) and in the Department of Rhetoric and Writing (SU-B 100).
Submissions may also be mailed to
Quills & Pixels
Department of Rhetoric and Writing
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
2801 S. University Ave. SU-B 100
Little Rock, AR 72204