Regular admission to the social work graduate program requires:
- Completed application forms for the Graduate School and School of Social Work.
- A baccalaureate degree with a liberal arts background from an accredited institution.
- An overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0. (An applicant whose undergraduate GPA is just below a 3.0 may be considered for conditional admission.)
- Satisfactory scores within the last five years on either the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT).
- A narrative statement of professional orientation.
- Three letters of reference from people who know the applicant in professional, academic, and volunteer settings.
Volunteer, employment, and other life experiences relevant to the career choice of social work are considered in the admission decision.
- March 1st for the full-time advanced standing program starting in the summer
- May 1st for full-time, 60 hour program starting in the fall
- June 1st for part-time 60 hour program and part-time advanced standing program starting in the fall
- November 1st for part-time 60 hour program and part-time advanced standing program starting in the spring
Timing of Applications and Admission
Evaluations of MSW applications are accepted at any time, but should be completed by the deadline provided on the application material. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible; completed applications receive priority processing. Only completed applications are eligible for review.
Although we will admit for the spring semester and summer semesters, most core courses begin in the fall. The majority of the MSW courses are offered in sequential fashion. Therefore, students admitted to the master’s program in the spring can only enroll part-time for the spring and summer semesters. Only students admitted to the advanced-standing program will begin their core courses in the summer.
Transfer Student Applications and Transfer of Credit
Only applicants from other CSWE-accredited graduate social work programs will be considered for admission as transfer students. Those applicants must have an overall GPA of at least 3.0 in their graduate social work studies, and no grade lower than a B will be accepted for credit. Applicants for transfer must submit an official statement of good standing from the former school along with all the items required for regular admission. The final year (28 hours) must be completed at UALR.
Courses taken in other fields generally will not be considered for credit, and in no instance will more than six hours be considered for transfer. Requests for a course waiver or transfer of credit must be made at or before the time of enrollment.
Students who withdraw voluntarily from the program or who are dismissed at any point during their course of study must reapply and be readmitted in accordance with general admissions procedures.