NOTE: This is a PDF fill-in form and works best using an Internet Explorer browser. Formulas may not work correctly in Google Chrome! If using Google Chrome you should download the form to your computer and re-open it in Adobe.
University policy states that persons traveling on behalf of UA Little Rock should have an approved Request for Authorization of Travel Expenses (TA) on file. This authorization will also include any “estimated” expenses that will be incurred while traveling. Travel expense reimbursements will not be issued unless a TA is on file.
General Information Section:
- Authorization Number: Authorization number will be assigned by Procurement Services.
- Applicant: Type the full name of the traveler.
- ID #: UA Little Rock identification number (T#) of the traveler or Social Security Number.
- Select One: Check appropriate box for traveler: Employee/GA, Student, or Guest of State
- Title: Type the title of the traveler.
- Date Submitted: Enter current date.
- No Cost (Insurance Only): Check when an employee, while traveling on university business, wants to be covered with employee travel insurance but will not be claiming expenses. Indicate zero dollars in the estimated cost section.
- Department Name: Enter the traveler’s department he/she is traveling on behalf of.
- Contact: Departmental contact person if there are questions.
- Contact Telephone No.: Telephone number of departmental contact.
- Contact Email: Email of departmental contact.
Travel Data Section:
- Purpose: Type the reason for travel (i.e., seminar, conference, etc.).
- Destination: Type the city and state.
- Daily Allowance for Destination: Enter the daily maximum for hotel and meals, based on location. Amounts may be found on the GSA Per Diem Rates website.
- Dates of Meeting/Official Business: Insert beginning and ending dates of meeting or official business.
- Dates of Travel: Enter dates of departure and return if they differ from meeting dates. This is especially important for confirmation of airline reservations.
Prepaid Items Section:
This section is for prepaying airline tickets, registration fees, hotel rooms, or rental car. The items in this section should never be duplicated in the estimated cost section.
- Airline Ticket: Check CTS or Prepaid (if using UA Little Rock’s approved travel agencies). Enter the dollar amount of the airline ticket and the FOAPAL to be charged. Attach the air itinerary to the TA form.
- Registration Fee: Check CTS, P-Card, or Prepaid (if Accounts Payable is issuing payment for the registration fee). Enter the dollar amount of the registration and the FOAPAL to be charged. Attach the registration form to the TA form.
- Rental Car: Check CTS, enter the dollar amount of the rental fee and the FOAPAL to be charged.
- Registration Fee Payable to: Enter the name and Vendor name that should appear on the check to pay your registration, and the Vendor number if known. The completed registration form must be attached to the TA form.
Request for Special Authorization Section:
This section is for requesting approval to claim more than the daily rate for lodging from your travel administrator. Justification for auto rental must also be provided. An explanation for your request must be entered with the signature of the administrator. A memo may be attached if additional space is needed. Accounts Payable will only allow regular reimbursement rates if a Travel Administrator’s signature is missing.
Estimated Cost Section:
This section is for reimbursable costs only – expenses that would be on your TR-1. Prepaid items should NOT be listed here.
- FOAPAL: Enter the FOAPAL that these travel expenses will be charged to.
- Transportation: Check mode and enter cost of travel in the right column. If travel is by air and the ticket was prepaid, then leave this line blank.
- Personal Auto: If you are using a personal auto, enter the number of miles for round trip. Total will auto-populate in total column.
- Registration Fees: Enter cost of any registration fees. If fee is to be prepaid, then leave this line blank.
- Hotel: Enter the number of days and the estimated cost per day for room. The total will auto-populate in the total column on the right. Make sure to abide by the Maximum Daily Allowance for Lodging for the destination city.
- Meals: Enter the number of days and the estimated cost per day for meals. The total will auto-populate in the total column on the right. Make sure to abide by the Maximum Daily Allowance for Meals for the destination city.
- Public: Enter the total estimated cost for public transportation (taxi, shuttle, subway, etc.).
- Other: Enter the total estimated cost for other miscellaneous expenses (parking, telephone, internet, etc.).
- Rental Car: Enter the number of days and the estimated cost per day for the rental car. Car rental must be from one of the mandatory state contract vendors and in accordance with UA Little Rock’s travel policy and procedures. Travelers must also justify auto rental in the Request for Special Authorization block and should attach a memo if additional space is required.
- Total: The grand total of estimated costs reimbursable to traveler will auto-populate. If not, then you should enter the grand total in the total line.
- Reimbursement Limited: If reimbursement is limited to a certain amount enter that amount in this blank.
- Cash Advance: Indicate whether or not a cash advance will be requested and the amount of the advance. Click here for detailed Travel Cash Advance instructions.
- Signatures are required from the Applicant, Director/Department Head, and Travel Administrator (Dean or Vice Chancellor) before the TA form can be processed.
- If travelling out of the United States, clearance and a signature must be obtained from the Export Control Office.
- If travelling out of the United States using restricted funds, clearance and a signature must be obtained from ORSP.
- The Travel Supervisor in Procurement Services will provide the final signature and assign an Authorization Number. Travel is then approved.
Routing and Other Instructions:
- After all of the required signatures have been obtained, TA’s should be submitted to Procurement Services for approval. A copy will be returned to the traveler once an Authorization Number has been assigned.
- No more than one TA form should be submitted by an employee for any one trip. All the expense items, prepaid or reimbursable, should be together on one TA form.
- If a UA Little Rock employee is responsible for students expenses and will be reimbursed, then two TA’s and two TR-1’s must be completed, one for the employee and one for the students. Attach a list of students to the student TA. If cash is distributed to students in the group, the supervising employee must provide a list of students’ names with their signatures acknowledging the amount of the cash advance.
- Reminder: After return from the trip, the Travel Reimbursement Form (TR-1) must be submitted to Accounts Payable within 5 working days.
Please contact Antionette Harper at email@example.com or 501.569.3431 if you have any questions about completing this form or travel procedures.
The following Account codes are related to travel and should be used in the FOAPAL lines when completing the Request for Authorization of Travel Expenses:
740100 – Hotel/Meals
740200 – Mileage
740300 – Airfare
740400 – Car Rental
740500 – Guest of State (GOS)/Students
740600 – Registration Fees
740900 – Public: Taxi/Other/Parking
Employee Travel AD&D Insurance:
When traveling on official business, employees are covered under the university’s travel AD&D insurance policy as long as a TA form is on file. Even if the employee does not intend to claim travel expenses for reimbursement, the TA form must be completed and the box “No Cost – Insurance Only” should be checked. Travel AD&D insurance only covers employees during actual time while operating a vehicle on official business.
Students traveling on behalf of the university must abide by the Travel for Students Representing UA Little Rock – Policy #309.5. Pursuant to said policy, an approved Student Trip Authorization must be on file, with student travel insurance purchased when applicable.
Student travel accident insurance is purchased when the Student Trip Authorization form is filed with the Office of Finance & Administration. A list of participating students along with their T#’s should be attached to the form. The per day per student cost of insurance is 60 cents for vehicle travel and 80 cents for travel by airplane. The department or student organization will be back charged for the insurance expense following completion of the trip. Copies of the claim form should be taken by the instructor or advisor on each trip.
If the student will be reimbursed for travel expenses, a TA form must also be completed and approved through Procurement Services. Before a student’s TA is approved, Procurement Services will verify with the Office of Finance & Administration that the Student Trip Authorization has been approved and is on file.
If a UA Little Rock employee is responsible for students expenses and will be reimbursed, then two TA’s and two TR-1’s must be completed, one for the employee and one for the students. Attach a list of students to the student TA. If cash is distributed to students in the group, the supervising employee must provide a list of students’ names with their signatures acknowledging the amount of the cash advance.
In addition, any employee, student, or guest of state operating a motor vehicle on official business or a sponsored trip (personal, university, or rental vehicle), must be age 18 or older and complete an Authorization to Operate a Motor Vehicle form. This form acts as a release to permit UA Little Rock to check the driving record, and anyone found to have an unacceptable record will not be allowed to drive.