22 March 2012

The Sounds of Spring Break

posted by Meaghan Milliorn

During spring break, the campus is typically pretty quiet. I’ve heard some call it a “ghost town.” But there’s one place on campus that is filled with noise, from the sound of bare feet dancing across the stage to hearing budding guitarists play ‘Smoke on the Water.’

Each spring, the Community School of the Arts offers its College for Kids Spring Break Arts Camp, where children from kindergarten to age 15 can take classes in music, dance, theater, dramatic arts, and more. The students are taught by UALR art and music faculty members and professional artists.

I stopped by the camp near the end of the week to see what the kids were up to. In just a short time, I saw students drawing, painting, dancing, playing guitar, and learning about musical rhythm.

The best part was that everyone looked like they were having fun while they were learning. I think that’s what camp is all about.

But don’t worry if your child missed camp this week. The Community School of the Arts also offers a Summer Arts Camp. Session 1 is scheduled for June 18-22 and Session 2 is scheduled for August 6-10. Sessions are from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuition is $165 per child and art classes are available in musical, visual, dance, theater, literary, dramatic, and even cooking.

I’m excited that my son is finally old enough to enroll in the camp this summer. Now the only question is, which class should he take? Either way, I know he’ll learn a lot and have just as much fun as the kids did this week.

3 Responses to “The Sounds of Spring Break”

1. You are corrwect, it is a “ghost town” but it’s a great thing that these kids can benefit from it being so slow over there..

2. Paintings says:

Looks great. I think children will enjoy there while learning.

3. David says:

Very inspirational. Thanks for posting this.