|University of Arkansas at Little Rock|
|Policy Name: Official Functions|
|Policy Number: 205.1|
|Effective Date: September 19, 2002|
Events falling within the “official functions” designation fit one or more of these categories:
- Meetings of official institutional (in-house) committees and advisory groups.
- Meetings of official external committees and advisory groups.
- Receptions, honors, and staff functions.
- Faculty and staff functions.
- Student functions.
- Official board functions.
- Miscellaneous functions in support of the university’s mission not obviously fitting one of these categories.
Examples of appropriate expenditures include, but are not limited to, those for refreshments or meals for groups which include institutional representatives and persons being considered for employment; persons conducting accreditation visits; persons meeting as volunteers giving their time in an advisory capacity to the institution; special guests or awardees; students at banquets or awards ceremonies; faculty and staff at a limited number of functions; and persons involved in meetings or events associated with the work of the Board of Trustees.
To assure accurate accounting of state-appropriated funds, the president may approve and promulgate by means of administrative memorandum procedures for each campus and the Division of Agriculture. The chancellors of each campus, the vice president for Agriculture, the director of the Criminal Justice Institute, and the director of the Arkansas Archeological Survey shall take responsibility for, or shall designate an individual who shall take responsibility for, each expenditure of state-appropriated funds for official functions. Where practical, official functions shall be budgeted on a unit-wide basis.
Expenditures of state-appropriated funds for official functions should never include:
- Expenses for individuals related to membership in clubs, social, or community organizations.
- Dues for individuals to professional organizations (except where approved by the president through applicable university-wide administrative memorandum).
- Holiday cards or other similar printed greetings to individual constituents.
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Expenses associated with any event which primarily celebrates the anniversary, wedding, or other significant moment in the life of an individual employee.
Source: UA Board Policy 260.1, September 19, 2002
Revised: January 19, 1996; November 22, 1985; September 19, 2002
Approved By: UA Board of Trustees
Custodian: UA Board of Trustees