|University of Arkansas at Little Rock|
|Policy Name: Donaghey Student Center Fitness and Aquatic Center|
|Policy Number: 506.2|
|Effective Date: April 1, 2010 (review date)|
Recreational, educational, health, and wellness promotion opportunities are offered at the DSC Fitness and Aquatic Center (the Center) for the benefit of all UALR students and members. The DSC administration is charged with maintaining a multi-purpose recreation facility open primarily for â€śinformal recreation.â€ť The DSC also attempts to meet the needs of structured recreational activities, instructional activities, Leisure Science programs, and special programs and rentals to maximize facility use year-round. The DSC has established policies and operating systems to maximize the safety and comfort of guests. Policies and procedures exist for each activity area. Please be aware of and adhere to such policies published by the DSC or posted in activity areas. Failure to comply with the policies and procedures of the Center may result in suspension of access privileges. DSC staff members are authorized to enforce all policies and procedures as well as regulate facility use.
Health and Safety
If your answer to any one of the following questions is yes, consult your personal physician before engaging in physical activity beyond what you are normally used to:
- Has your doctor ever said you have heart trouble?
- Do you frequently have pains in your heart and chest?
- Do you often feel faint or have spells of severe dizziness?
- Has a doctor ever said your blood pressure was too high?
- Has your doctor ever told you that you have a bone or joint problem such as arthritis that has been aggravated by exercise or might be made worse with exercise?
- Is there a good physical reason not mentioned here why you should not follow an activity program even if you wanted to?
- Are you over age 65 and not accustomed to vigorous exercise?
Any guest requiring special accommodations may request such assistance from any DSC staff member. An appropriate Access Card is required for entry to the Center. Access by the card is limited only to the person identified by the card. Misuse of the Access Card may result in suspension of access privileges to the Center.
No refunds are provided for memberships or any other fees of the DSC.
Gaining Access Students
Students who have registered and whose classes have not been cancelled are automatically members of the Center for the semester in which they are enrolled. Students need only use the Campus Card to activate it.
Term memberships may be purchased by any UALR affiliate excluding students who are already members. A non-holder of a Campus Card, e.g., spouse of student who is not a UALR employee or student, who becomes a member will receive a Membership Access Card to facilitate access to the Center. Cards will be issued to members age 13 years and above. Youth 13 years and above must have a membership or One-Day pass for access. Note that only a child 12 years or under of a student member or paying member may access the Center for free. The Donaghey Student Fitness and Aquatic Center is not available for use by the general public. UALR affiliation is a requirement for membership.
One day passes may be purchased without a sponsor by any UALR affiliate who is not a student. The cost is $3 per day for a multiple entry pass. A Campus Card holder will have his or her card encoded for the dayâ€™s access. Non-UALR affiliates may only purchase a One-Day Pass to the Center at the cost of $5, and must be sponsored and accompanied by a UALR affiliate.
- The north entrance is the primary entrance into the Center. Any special requests for membership, payment, or access services must be made at the Reception Desk at the north end, NOT at Equipment Services.
- Non-affiliates may access the DSC by having a member sponsor the guest for a One-Day Pass. The sponsor must remain in the Center at all times that the guest is present. A sponsoring member is allowed a maximum of two (2) guests per day. Sponsor must have a valid Campus Card or member Access Card. Guest must have a valid state ID.
- A guest member in a wheelchair may be accompanied by another individual to assist the guest.
- Spectators are subject to all policies and procedures for facility access.
- Youth 12 years and younger in all parts of the DSC must constantly be supervised or accompanied by the parent or adult legal guardian at all times.
- Youth 13 to 15 years in DSC public areas must have a parent or adult guardian present at all times and may be present in the Fitness Center, but not the Aquatic Center, with the parent or adult legal guardian in other parts of the DSC. However, the parent or guardian may not leave the DSC while the youth remains in the building.
- Youth 12 years and under can access the Center free only when accompanied and supervised by a parent who is a member. These rules are particularly for emergencies when the parentâ€™s consent is needed for emergency treatment.
- Youth ages 13 to 15 years present in the Aquatic Center must have a parent or adult legal guardian always present in the Center.
- Children 6 to 12 years must be accompanied by a parent or adult legal guardian in the Aquatic Center. The parent or adult legal guardian must always be in full visual sight of the child.
- Children 5 years and younger in the Aquatic Center must be accompanied by a parent or adult legal guardian in the water with the child.
- Only persons age 16 years and older may remain in the Strength Training Room.
- Youth ages 12 years and under may not use any cardiovascular equipment.
General Rules and Regulations
- All guests engage in activities at their own risk.
- The DSC is a smoke-free environment.
- No form of tobacco product is allowed anywhere in the DSC.
- Footwear that mark activity playing surfaces and street shoes of all forms are strictly prohibited.
- Food, beverages, and gum are prohibited in the Center. Beverages in a secured container, e.g., squeeze bottle, are allowed.
- Use of the Center may be altered or restricted during special events. Please consult the event calendar posted in the DSC for the most current schedule. Please observe signs and markers that direct or limit use of the facility.
- The DSC is not responsible for personal belongings present or stored in the DSC.
- You may bring a personal lock to use any of the large lockers in the Locker Room for storage of belongings. There is no charge for use of the lockers. Lockers must be vacated before the DSC closes for the day.
- Locker term rentals may be made for the duration of each semester. Please note that locker term/semester rentals traditionally expire on the day before the start of each fall, spring, and summer I semesters. By this point, lockers must be vacated or renewed. After such date, contents from expired locker rentals may be removed and disposed.
Source: UALR Student Handbook 2009
Approved By: VCESS, April 1, 2010
Custodian: Donaghey Student Center Information