|University of Arkansas at Little Rock|
|Policy Name: Donaghey Student Center (DSC)|
|Policy Number: 506.1|
|Effective Date: April 1, 2010 (review date)|
Mission of the DSC
The DSC establishes a climate that encourages personal wellness and nurtures individuals to be positive contributors to society.
The DSC supports the mission of the university by providing a diversity of facilities, programs, and services to enhance the institution’s educational environment and to improve the quality of college life.
The DSC is a place of convergence which provides a sense of campus community and linkage to the university’s public.
General Policies and Prodecures
- Employees of the DSC who identify themselves as a staff member of the DSC have the right and responsibility to enforce the policies of the DSC. DSC employees are identified by a UA Little Rock ID tag bearing the employee’s full name, title, and picture. The DSC Administration reserves the right to interpret and waive any rules, regulations, policies, or procedures stated in this document.
- The violation of any policies of the DSC by any individual may subject the individual, and/or the organization the individual may be representing, to any one or combination of outcomes as follows: ejection from the facility; suspension or removal of rights to part or entire facility or activity for a stated period; suspension or removal of rights to stated services of the facility for a stated period.
- The DSC is off-limits to all individuals when the facility is closed unless authorized otherwise by the DSC management.
- Unauthorized intoxicants, drugs, firearms, and gambling in any form are prohibited.
- Approval is needed before use of any public facility space for any activity.
- There shall be no use of any form of open flames in the DSC, i.e., candles or matches, without prior approval of the management.
- Concourse walk paths and corridors shall be kept open for the safe passage of guests.
- Alcohol is not permitted in the DSC in accordance with laws of the State of Arkansas and policy and procedures of the University of Arkansas System.
- Guests must wear acceptable footwear and attire at all times unless otherwise specified or allowed by management due to special activities or events. Management reserves the right to determine acceptability of footwear.
- Any sound making devices may not be played at a volume level that would cause discomfort of guests.
- Smoking is prohibited in the DSC. The use of smokeless tobacco is prohibited in all public areas of the DSC.
- Youth ages 13 to 15 years in the DSC must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian.
- Children ages 12 and under in the DSC must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian at all times.
- No animals are allowed in the DSC except for animals classified as guides.
- Bicycles, use of skateboards, roller skates, blades, or scooters are not allowed in the DSC.
- Bicycles may not be placed or leaned against any glass surfaces or painted railings on the outside of the building. A bicycle may be impounded if it is parked in an unauthorized space or manner or it has been abandoned.
- Food and beverages are permitted in all areas of the DSC except for the Bookstore, Fitness and Aquatic Center, and any areas clearly marked where food and beverages are not permitted.
- Any food and/or beverages served in the DSC must be purchased from the UA Little Rock Dining Services. Guests are not permitted to bring in food or beverages for meetings, activities, or conferences without prior permission from Dining Services.
- The DSC is not responsible for any articles lost or stolen within the building. The Lost and Found Desk is in the DPS. Positive picture identification will be required to claim a recovered item.
- Furnishings, fixtures, equipment, and other property assigned to the DSC shall not be removed from the premises except on approval of management. Conversely, any property not assigned to the DSC shall NOT be left in the DSC without the approval of the management.
- Disruptive behavior or undesirable conduct by any individual in the DSC may lead to ejection from the facility.
- Video surveillance systems provide coverage of public areas.
Literature Distribution and Posting
- The distribution and posting of literature or printed material, e.g., posters, signs, flyers, newspapers, is permitted in the DSC as long as there is no interference with normal University operations, activities, and events, and is in compliance with published regulations. Any form of literature may be posted and distributed in the DSC:
- Only in designated areas.
- Only on designated surfaces.
- In accordance with “Campus Signs and Poster Regulations” and “Distribution of Printed Materials” stated in the most current edition of the UA Little Rock Student Handbook.
- All literature must have the following information clearly indicated on the front face of the literature:
- The expiration date of the literature. The date of the event or activity appearing on the literature will suffice as the expiration date of the literature.
- The sponsoring agency of the literature and/or event/activity the literature is promoting.
- Literature may not be posted in/on any glass, brick surfaces, walls, floors, ceilings, stairs, railings, doors, furniture, trash cans, elevators, or signs in the DSC.
- Literature posted or distributed must be removed from the DSC within forty-eight (48) hours from the expiration of the literature by the organization originating the literature. The DSC administration reserves the right to remove signs and postings that are in violation of the said policies and procedures herein.
- All events and activities sponsored by an RSO must be recorded with the UA Little Rock Master Calendar, located at the DSC Conference Services office, prior to posting and promotion of the event. In addition, RSOs and non-university groups must gain the approval of the OCL to post material on campus.
- Violation of these regulations may result in possible suspension or termination of the violator’s future privilege for posting and distribution of literature.
DSC Conference Services
The DSC offers meeting and event facilities to fit most needs for conferences, meetings, banquets, and special events. The DSC also has sports/recreation and aquatic facilities available for reserved use, although such use is limited to particular types of events. All facility use and reservations of DSC facilities are governed by the DSC Operating Policies and Procedures.
Billing Information for UALR Clients
RSOs or UA Little Rock Departments must have a UA Little Rock account in good standing. Full payment is due prior to the scheduled event. Payment may be made via check, cash, or department account (FOAPAL).
Late Cancellation Notice
For effective communications, customers are requested to make any notification of cancellation in writing to the DSC office. Such notice will be considered late if not received at the DSC at least ten (10) business days before the date of the event.
Late Cancellation Charge
Ten percent (10%) of published rates for rental, or $15 per room requested (higher charge applies) plus any additional non-recoverable costs incurred by UA Little Rock for the event.
Twenty-five percent (25%) of published rates for rental or $15 per room rented (higher charge applied) plus any additional non-recoverable cost incurred by UA Little Rock for the event.
If a set-up for a room takes more than one (1) hour of labor, the under-use charge contingency will apply. This charge is to encourage customers to be realistic with attendance projections. This keeps labor resource waste to a minimum. Under this contingency, if the attendance of the event peaks at fifty percent (50%) or below the attendance expected by the customer, the customer will pay for the additional labor hours beyond the first hour required to set-up and take-down the room.
Set-up Changes and Charges
Changes in set-ups for facility use may be made at no additional cost up to three (3) business days before the event. For effective communications, customers are requested to make changes in writing to the DSC office. Late notification of changes in set-ups will result in a charge of actual labor incurred in making the changes.
Any food and/or beverage served at UA Little Rock must be arranged with the UA Little Rock Dining Services. Guests are not permitted to bring in food or beverages to be served or sold at meetings, events, or activities scheduled in the DSC or anywhere on campus without prior written permission from Dining Services. If an exception is afforded, the written permission is required at the time of the facility reservation and event date(s) to help confirm that such approval has been provided. There will be a charge determined by DSC management rendered to the organization if food or beverages are served or sold on UA Little Rock grounds without the approval of Dining Services. DSC china and silverware must remain in the designated dining areas unless approved for removal by the UA Little Rock Dining Services.
Policies and Procedures
The following policies and procedures govern the reservation and use of all facilities in the DSC, including meeting rooms, solicitation tables/booths, display cases, open/public areas, and dining areas. Policies and procedures of the DSC may be modified without notice. The DSC management reserves the right to provide exceptions for unique cases. Contact the DSC administrative office for further detailed policies and procedures. Scheduling of events and activities is done on a first-come, first-served basis according to the established scheduling priorities.
Once reservations are confirmed with a client, they shall be honored by the DSC unless the facility is needed by UA Little Rock for extenuating circumstances. With the exception of applicable Leisure Science classes, as per arrangement with the management, academic classes, lectures, laboratories, tests, or any type of class for credit or non-credit may NOT be scheduled in the DSC. When advertising an event scheduled in the DSC, the client must reflect accurate event starting and ending times as arranged with and confirmed by the DSC.
Where to make reservations?
Reservations for any room or space in the DSC and Mall area may be made at the DSC Conference Services office. The use of the area immediately surrounding the DSC must also be approved by the Physical Plant. Reservations for the Student Organization Conference Room, DSC 201A, may be made with OCL.
How Far in Advance?
Any form of organized meeting, gathering, solicitation, or event held in the DSC must be scheduled at the DSC Conference Services office at least three (3) full business days before the day of the event. Reservations may be made at the DSC Conference Services office from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
In the case of a major event, a minimum advance notice of four (4) weeks is requested. A major event is defined as an event that involves any one of the following criteria:
- Involves more than eight (8) hours of rental time.
- Attendance of more than 400 people.
- Requires over ten (10) labor hours for preparation and supervision.
Who Should Make the Reservation?
All reservations for a facility must be made by an official representative of the organization that will be utilizing the facility. In the case of an RSO, reservation forms shall be completed by an elected officer of the RSO or faculty advisor at the administrative office. No organization may schedule a facility for use by another organization unless the event is a joined effort of both organizations. Proof of such a partnership must be available upon request before a reservation is guaranteed. Any reservation for use of any DSC facility for individual use is prohibited. DSC facilities may be reserved by students, faculty, or staff persons for use by a UA Little Rock department or RSO. Non-UA Little Rock groups may also use the facilities subject to applicable policies and procedures.
Tentative holds on a room may be made up to one and one-half years in advance and must be confirmed at least four (4) months before the event date. Tentative holds may be repealed if the university requires the space for special university functions or if another client is able to confirm a reservation for the said event date. The management will do its best to either prevent such occurrences or to offer alternative facilities. Tentative holds may be taken by telephone for any group except RSOs. RSOs must send a representative to the DSC to reserve facilities.
Equipment and Set-up Requests
All requests for use of tables, chairs, audio-visual equipment, staging, public address system, etc., and desired room setup, may be made at the Conference Services office at time of the reservation or no later than three (3) full days before the event. Any changes to the existing set-up must be communicated to the management three (3) full days in advance. Requests past this deadline may not be guaranteed and may result in administrative and housekeeping charges if honored.
General Use Policies
Management reserves the right to allocate an appropriate room or space to match the nature of the event or activity. Facilities will be available to a client for the times reserved and reflected on the UA Little Rock Facilities Reservation Form and/or the DSC Reservation Profile. If a reservation is granted, the University reserves the right to rescind its action if it should be determined, subsequent to the approval of the request, that the facilities involved are needed by UA Little Rock due to extenuating circumstances. All attempts will be made on the part of the DSC to prevent such a situation The DSC will attempt to offer alternate solutions.
Over-Bookings, Cancellations, and No-shows
Historically, there have been groups that placed a number of tentative holds or confirm reservations and later make many cancellations or not show for the reservation. The requests for DSC meeting space are plentiful and an attempt is being made, as far as possible, to make as many facilities available to clients that are certain about the use of the facilities.
- If a client cancels a tentative hold or confirmed reservation one (1) month or later before the date of a solicitation table of facility in the DSC for a total of three (3) times during a period of six (6) months, the client will forfeit the right to advance reserve any facility in the DSC for a period of six (6) months from the date following the third event date cancelled. During this period the client may use an available facility upon request three (3) full days prior to the event.
- In the event of a late cancellation or “no-show,” the policy for “no-shows” will take effect and be counted as part of the allowance of three (3) times before the above mentioned sanction is enforced.
- Clients must notify the Conference Services office of a cancellation at least ten (10) full business days in advance of the day of the scheduled event to avoid the cancellation penalties.
Steps to Reserving a Facility for RSOs
- Visit the DSC Conference Services office to reserve the facility. A DSC Reservation Profile will be completed during the visit. A temporary hold is placed on the facility pending a completed UA Little Rock Facilities Reservation Form.
- The DSC conference service representative signs for facility manager (signature #1) on the Facilities Reservation Form. DSC does not retain a copy of the form yet.
- Secure signature #2 (student organization advisor) on the form. A copy is not yet retained.
- Secure signature #3 (OCL or Dean of Students). A copy is not yet retained.
- Secure signature #4 (Conference Services) on the form. Client is given the pink copy. Information Center routes copies as follows: yellow to OCL or Dean of Students, gold to DSC or manager of facility reserved.
Fees and Charges
- Student-based organizations seeking university recognition may hold their first three (3) meetings without charge during normal operating hours. Approval from OCL is required.
- For normal wear and use there are no charges for clean-up by the DSC staff. For program activities or events in which there is abuse or misuse of the DSC or if excessive clean-up is required, the sponsoring organization will be assessed a charge at the published labor or service rate to restore the facility, or equipment to its prior condition. The organization and/or its officers shall be held financially responsible for any damage to the building or equipment resulting from maliciousness and/or negligence on the part of any officer of the organization or participant.
- In the event that a client fails to pay the full invoiced amount or a facility use or other related charges within the designated time, no further reservations for DSC facility use by such organizations will be accepted.
- RSOs and departments may use the DSC facilities for all university-related events during normal operating hours at no charge. The rates apply to use by such clients after facility hours. There will be additional labor charges for after-hours use.
- All rates are inclusive of audio-visual equipment, tables, chairs, and staging subject to availability.
- Minimum of three (3) hours required for facility use outside of normal operating hours.
- All reservations may be assessed additional costs, when applicable, based on facility use rates, labor needs for supervision, housekeeping needs (especially for special set-ups), damage charges, late cancellations, or no-shows.
- Facility use time is inclusive of set-up and take-down time.
- During normal operating hours, there will be no set-up charges for basic setups, i.e., set-ups requiring up to one (1) labor hour. Specialized set-ups will incur housekeeping costs. Any changes to the set-up made later than three (3) class days prior to the event may result in additional labor charges. For pricing of facilities and solicitation tables at the DSC, please call 501.569.3324.
Source: UALR Student Handbook 2009
Approved By: VCESS, April 1, 2010
Custodian: Student Affairs/Provost