Inclement Weather - 210.0
|University of Arkansas at Little Rock|
|Policy Name: Inclement Weather|
|Policy Number: 210.0|
|Effective Date: January 1, 2011|
- During inclement weather, UALR will make a decision whether or not to close based on all available information.
- The Chancellor will decide whether or not conditions warrant canceling classes and activities and closing the campus or whether classes and activities will be canceled but with specified campus offices open. Online or web-enhanced classes will continue as scheduled at the discretion of the faculty member.
- The UALR website, UALR email, the University’s main telephone number (501/569-3000), and the campus emergency alert system are the official means of communicating all information concerning weather-related closing. Local television and radio stations will also be notified.
- When necessary, the University will announce a separate decision about canceling night classes (those classes starting at 4:20 p.m. or later) by 2:00 p.m., if possible.
- Ordinarily, sites remote from campus such as the the Bowen Law School, the Arkansas Studies Institute, and the Benton Center will close or cancel classes and activities whenever the University does so. In some circumstances, however, a separate decision may be made whether or not a site remote from campus will be open or closed, and this decision will be announced through the University’s official means of communicating weather-related closings.
- Vice chancellors are responsible for seeing that necessary services are provided in their respective areas when the university is closed. Employees required to provide such services will be identified by their supervisors. Classified employees who must report to work when the University is closed due to inclement weather will be allowed compensation time of 1.5 hours for one hour worked. Persons who are not required to work when the University is closed will be granted authorized absence. Employees who do not report to work when the campus is open will be charged annual/compensatory leave or leave without pay. The Payroll Department will prescribe payroll reporting and timekeeping.
- The Policy Advisory Council of the University Assembly will recommend to the Chancellor if and when missed undergraduate and graduate class days should be made up. In the event that the University is closed during a final examination day, the Provost, in consultation with the Faculty Senate President, will reschedule any missed graduate or undergraduate final examinations with the exception of online exams which will continue as scheduled.
- Weather and road conditions vary from place to place. Employees and students are expected to exercise good judgment regarding the safety of travel when road conditions are affected by the weather.
Source: Inclement Weather Committee
Revised: January 1, 2011
Approved By: Dr. Joel Anderson, December 5, 2008