Staff Senate elections are coming soon. If you have ever considered being on Staff Senate, this may be the year for you!
As a member of Staff Senate, you will have the opportunity to represent the staff members of your respective Vice Chancellor area. Along with the responsibility of staff advocacy, Staff Senate members serve the university through community outreach, staff recognition, and professional development.
In the last year alone, Staff Senate has accomplished the following:
- Our Helping Hands committee provided 160 families with a full holiday meal, breaking our previous record of 150 families!
- The Professional Development committee has offered several workshops for the campus. Theyâ€™re planning on offering the Dave Ramsey workshop again next year and are open to your suggestions as well!
- Our Issues and Concerns committee has been working diligently on addressing any concerns brought to our attention by the staff.
- Our Communications committee has updated our website, created an email template for all our email communications sent to campus, provided a way for anonymous suggestions to be made via our website, created a quarterly newsletter for the Staff, and more.
- The Blood Drive committee collected over 154 units of blood in just the last three blood drives alone! Thatâ€™s ridonkulous!
- In an effort to fund our efforts in community outreach and scholarship, we have raised over $1000 as of February with the Kroger Community Rewards program fundraiser. That was accomplished by just 53 families shopping at Kroger. Imagine what we could do if more people registered their Kroger cards!
- Weâ€™ve branched out in our fundraising efforts to provide a Winterâ€™s Welcome Ball, dinners at US Pizza, and are looking to have a Tunica trip in the near future! Schedule your babysitters now because mamma needs a new pair of shoes!
- The Public Outreach committee has continued its efforts in taking up donations of coats, toys, clothes, and basic necessities for Our House, Red Cross, and Angel Tree and has been working with Children International to beautify their campus.
- We will be recognizing several staff members for their years of service and accomplishments in graduation as well as those who have retired in the upcoming Staff Awards Ceremony. Three individuals will be recognized for Service to Community, Personal Growth, and Service to UALR, and they each will be rewarded with $1000! Weâ€™ll also be announcing who has won the Staff Senate Scholarship and the Jerry Crittenden Employee Book Scholarship!
The Staff Senate is a rewarding experience, and those rewards are directly related to how much you give. If you think youâ€™d be interested in serving and continuing to make Staff Senate a highly regarded voice in the campus community, let your co-workers know that you want their vote for the upcoming nominations. Electronic ballots will be sent to all staff membersâ€™ UALR email addresses in the next few months, and you can vote for the designated number of employees that will represent your Vice Chancellor area. Tell people in your area that you want to work on their behalf!
Feel free to contact any of the following people if have questions about Staff Senate:
Current President: Chelsea Ward
Immediate Past President: Rikki Turner
President-Elect: Shanna Morris
Secretary: Christopher Hickman
Treasurer: Sandra Bates-Slaughter
Parliamentarian: Sylvester Cartwright
Communications Officer: Sarah Travis