Please visit the Graduate Catalog for specific program requirements
There are four different emphases under the PhD program, including Applied Biosciences, Applied Chemistry, Applied Physics, and Computational Science.
MS students can pursue a degree related to Earth Sciences or Physics.
In addition to applying for admission, prospective students should also solicit Financial Support.
Documents which must be submitted for admission consideration include
- Original transcripts from all post-secondary schools attended
- Official GRE General Test from ETS (UALR’s institutional code is 6368)
- A Statement of Purpose
- Proof of Immunization against measles, mumps, rubella (also, a Tuberculosis skin test for international students)
- 3 letters of recommendation (in no particular format)
- A $40 non-refundable application fee payable to “UALR Graduate Admissions” either by check, money order, bank draft, or by calling UALR Cashier’s Office at 501-916-5537 and paying by credit card. Domestic applicants can pay the application fee by credit card during on-line registration. This feature will be available for international students in the near future.
Additional documents required for international students:
- Official TOEFL from ETS (UALR’s institutional code is 6368)
- Financial Responsibility Statement (If self-supported, provide a certified bank statement. If supported by an organization, send an official copy of scholarship letter from your sponsor)
- Articulation of international transcripts by AACRAO or World Education Services is required at the time of application review.
Letters of recommendation may be sent by regular mail or by e-mail to the Emphasis Area Coordinator. Recommendation letters must be written on letter-head stationery, signed by the referee, and sent from a professional, business, or university postal or e-mail address.
All other documents should be sent to the following address:
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
Attention: Graduate School
Ottenheimer Library – 5th Floor
2801 South University Avenue
Little Rock, AR 72204
The recommendation on an application for admission to an Applied Science graduate program is made with the collective input of the faculty. Satisfying minimum requirements for admission by itself does not guarantee admission. Factors that could be involved include, but are not limited to, availability of faculty mentors and financial support in cases where such support is sought by an applicant.
Applicants must possess the following minimum credentials to be considered for full admission to Applied Science
- A bachelor’s degree in an appropriate scientific discipline, such as engineering, chemistry, physics, biology, mathematics, earth science or materials science
- An undergraduate GPA adjusted to a 4.0 scale – EITHER 3.0 over the entirety of undergraduate study OR 3.3 for the last 60 credit hours
- A minimum combined score on the GRE of 300 and 4.5
- Prerequisite courses for all core courses in the intended area of study
Applicants with a 3.5 or greater GPA on their last 60 credit hours are not required to take the GRE.
International students whose native language is not English and who do not have a degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution of higher education must submit a score of at least 550 on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), 213 on the computer-based, or 79 on internet versions. It is required to maintain valid health insurance before the student can register. Students with families are highly recommended to obtain coverage for the entire family.
International students who have questions about visas or other concerns should contact the Office of International Student Services.