The Library has closed carrels available for use by law students and UA Little Rock Law School alumni studying for the bar. Carrels are assigned for one semester, and in the following priority:
- Students with accommodation needs. Please submit paperwork from the Disability Resource Center that states you require a closed carrel.
- UALR Law School alumni studying for the Arkansas bar exam (spring and summer semesters only).
- Library or faculty Research Assistants.
- Law journal editors, members or apprentices currently working on a law journal writing project (for example, a case note, survey or comment) who don’t have a work space in the law review area.
- Students enrolled in a course that satisfies the upper-level writing requirement, including appellate advocacy but excluding trial advocacy.
- Other upper-level students (if you are a first year student, you may apply for an open carrel.) After all priority applications have been processed, the remaining carrels will be assigned to 2L & 3L students on a first come-first serve basis (based on the time and date of the submitted application).
You may request a closed carrel by completing an application online. Two occupants share each carrel, and you may request preferred carrel mates. Each carrel applicant qualifies on his or her own merit. Listing a person on your carrel application as a carrel mate does not automatically qualify him or her for a carrel. If your preferred carrel mate is ineligible, we will randomly assign you a carrel mate.
Once a carrel has been assigned, your key will be available at the Circulation Desk. Carrel keys are library property and should not be lent to another person. There is a $40 charge for lost carrel keys.
Your occupancy period ends on the last day of finals for the given semester. At that time you should empty your carrel and return your keys.
Carrel occupants agree to abide by certain regulations, and a copy of those will be delivered with your keys.
The Library is not responsible for personal items left in carrels.