Update – BA in Sociology Now Online!
We are now admitting select students into an Online Campus (Online only) BA in Sociology program. The online major is identical in course content to the main campus major (see below) except that you can complete the degree entirely online. For more information about being admitted to the online major, email Dr. Lopez (email@example.com). For more information about the Online campus and the Sociology major cost, visit this link.
Bachelor of Arts in Sociology
A BA in Sociology consists of at least 30 credit hours of sociology, including:
- SOCI 2300 – Introduction to Sociology
- A Sociological theory class: SOCI 3383 – Classical Theory OR SOCI 3384 – Contemporary Theory
- SOCI 3381 – Social Statistics (must be taken before Research Methods)
- SOCI 3385 – Research Methods (must be taken before the Senior Capstone Seminar)
- SOCI 4387 – Senior Capstone Seminar (you must complete Research Methods before you take the capstone)
- 15 upper-level credit hours of sociology courses approved by a sociology advisor
But what does that mean? How do I get a degree in Sociology?
For any UA Little Rock Bachelor’s degree, you need to complete 120 total hours, 45 of which must be upper level. Upper level means junior-or senior level classes, which you can recognize because the course number starts with a 3 or 4 – for example “SOCI 3381” or “ANTH4487”.
To successfully complete a BA with a Sociology major at UA Little Rock, you need to:
1. Complete the UA Little Rock Standard Core and the College of Social Science and Communications Core. Together these are a total of 35 credit hours.
2. Reach intermediate competency in a second language. Spanish, French, Arabic, Chinese, or American Sign Language are options here at UA Little Rock, other languages may also be possible. You can demonstrate intermediate competency in a number of ways including testing out of all or some of the courses, or successfully completing the third course in one language. (A maximum of two semesters or 6 hours).
3. Complete the following courses in Sociology:
SOCI 2300 – Introduction to Sociology
SOCI 3383 – Classical Theory OR SOCI 3384 – Contemporary Theory
*SOCI 3381 – Social Statistics (must be taken before Research Methods)
*SOCI 3385 – Research Methods (must be taken before the Senior Capstone Seminar)
*SOCI 4387 – Senior Capstone Seminar (you must complete Research Methods before you take the capstone)
Plus 15 upper-level credit hours of sociology courses approved by a sociology advisor
The Sociology degree is 30 total credit hours, 27 of which are upper level and are used to partially fulfill the overall UA Little Rock graduation requirement mentioned above.
4. You are not required to take a minor, but many people choose to. Talk to your Sociology advisor about what courses will best help you work towards your future goals.
Need more information?
For detailed course and more program information, please consult the appropriate course catalog.
You can also always contact us if you have further questions.