SPECIAL NOTE – Yes, we are still advising! Please follow the instructions below to sign up for an advising session in the usual way. We will meet with main campus students virtually via Google Meet or we can conduct advising by email. Please sign up with an available advisor and include your contact preferences or other key information in the comments. If there are no advising slots available in the google calendar below, or you have other questions, email SOAN-L@ualr.edu.
The process has not changed for Online Campus majors in Sociology, see below.All students MUST be advised each semester before registering for classes.
Online Campus Sociology Majors
Each semester, your advising process will be initiated by the department. At least a week ahead of the official start to early registration you will receive an email from the department with your advising form and further information. After you have reviewed the paperwork sent to you, further discussion may occur with your advisor by email, video chat, or phone if needed. You must sign and return your advising form (or agree to the terms in your advising form by email) before we can lift your advising flag so you can register.
If the registration period has already begun, and you have not received advising information from us, first check your UA Little Rock email and search for an advising email (usually these will be from Dr. Lopez). If you cannot find an advising email, email SOAN-L@ualr.edu and we will take care of you.
Main Campus Sociology Majors
We use the UALR google calendar system to make advising appointments. We do not schedule phone advising. To make an advising appointment, click on this link: Sociology Advising Slots
You will get more out of your advising appointment if you come prepared. First, review the degree requirements for the sociology major here. Then, search the class schedule and think about what you want to take and what questions you have. More tips below: Be sure to read all of the information below before signing up for advising.
How to Sign up for an Advising Appointment (Main Campus Students):
- You must be logged into your UALR email to sign up for an appointment.
- Before signing up for an appointment, make sure your UALR-google calendar is set to Central Standard Time
- Sociology Advising Slots can be accessed via this link.
- Please include your T# and a contact phone number when you sign up for an advising slot.
- Please schedule your appointment at LEAST 24 hours (business day) in advance. We need to know ahead of time to be there, and we need time to get your advising folder prepared.
- You can be advised by any professor you choose. You do not have to be advised by the same person every semester–feel free to make an appointment with whoever has time slots that are most convenient for your schedule. If you sign up for a slot and then want to change it, make sure to cancel the previous appointment online in your UALR/Google calendar before making another one at a different time.
- If you need to be advised outside of the normal advising period, or if you have any questions, contact us at 501-569-3173.
Frequently Asked Questions About Advising
How do I prepare for my advising appointment?
1. Look over the class schedule of available classes for next semester (Class Search), and prepare a draft schedule of classes you would like to take. Make sure to take into consideration required classes for the core and your minor as well as your major. Consult your copy of the advising form from last semester if you are a returning student. If you aren’t sure what you should take, that is fine. (That is why you are getting advised, after all.)
2. Bring a list of questions and issues you want to discuss with your advisor to your advising appointment. Your questions should not just be about next semester’s classes, but can be about your progress toward graduation, internship or fieldwork opportunities, career options, grad school, and even your current classes, study tips, or your overall experience in college.
What will happen during my advising appointment?
You and your advisor will check your progress towards graduation and talk about the best plan for you not just for the upcoming semester, but for your remaining time in school and even beyond that. We will check to see what requirements remain for you to graduate and suggest a schedule that will best meet those goals and fit your personal schedule and needs. We will always reserve some time to talk about internships, fieldwork opportunities, independent research, extracurricular activities related to your major, and other questions you have.
Your advisor can be a mentor to you in a myriad of ways. Let us be a resource for you! If we don’t know the answer to a question or can’t solve a problem you have at the university, we will help you connect with someone who can.
When you leave you will have a signed copy of an advising form that details your remaining requirements for graduation, what you should register for next semester, and anything else either you or the faculty need to follow up on.