The BA in Web Design and Development program is designed to cater to both traditional university students as well as working professionals in multiple fields. Careers in enhancing the web user’s experience are on the rise.
Responsive web sites and mobile apps are efforts that are being undertaken by many industries and disciplines today, from healthcare to retail to virtually any industry which has a need to communicate with its stakeholders. As such, opportunities extend to recent graduates, those seeking a professional upgrade or certification, or employees seeking to “reinvent” themselves with new skill sets.
This is an interdisciplinary program designed collaboratively by faculty from the Department Art (CALS), Rhetoric and Writing (SSC), Mass Communication (SSC), Information Science (EIT) and the Information Technology Program.
The program will be administered via the Information Technology Program. Participating Faculty will meet frequently to coordinate curriculum & project-based work. Capstone Courses will be cross-listed as needed.
Total Degree Hours: 120 Hours
UALR Core (35 Hrs) – More Information.
- Standard Core (21 Hrs)
- EIT Core (14 Hrs)
Degree Credit Hours (70 Hrs) including Foundations, Content Courses, and Cooperative Experience.
Foundations (19 Hrs)
- IFSC 1105 – FYC Information Science
- IFSC 1310 – Web Technologies
- ARST 1310 – Basic Drawing
- ARST 1315 – Two-Dimensional Design
- ARST 2318 – Computer Applications in Art
- MCOM 2300 – Introduction to Media Production
- RHET 3326 – Technical Writing
Content Courses (45 Hrs)
- ITEC 3610 – Intro to Information Technology & Application
- ITEC 3650 – Guided Application in IT & Industry Process
- MCOM 3310 – Introduction to Web Principles and Design
- MCOM 3390 – Non-Linear Editing I
- ARST 3340 – Intro to Graphic Design
- ARST 3341 – Typography
- IFSC 3342 – Mobile Web Design
- MCOM 4340 – Digital Graphics and Animation
- ARST 4348 – Web Design
- MCOM 4385 – Advanced Web (CMS / Dreamweaver)
- RHET 4371 – Writing on the Web
- RHET 4305 – Document Design
- RHET 4372 – Usability Testing and Design
Cooperative Experience (Capstone 6 Hrs)
- ITEC 4610 – Project Development and Portfolio Defense
General Elective Hours (15 Hrs)- Choose 5 courses from the following recommended Program Electives
- IFSC 3300 – Web Client Applications
- IFSC 4360 – Social Computing
- IFSC 4301 – Computing, Info, and Future
- IFSC 4350 – Electronic Commerce
- IFSC 3320 – Database Concepts
- ARST 3385 – Vector Graphics
- ARST 3386 – Digital Imaging
- ARST 4340 – Print Design
- ARST 4341 – Package Design
- MCOM 4320 – Non-Linear Editing II
- MCOM 4350 – Production and Design
Rhetoric and Writing
- RHET 4307 – Writing Software Documentation
For more information about this degree plan, contact Mr. Thomas Wallace at email@example.com.