Entering Student FAQs

General Information

When does school start?

All beginning first-year students are required to attend First Week. It is the official beginning of the school year. The dates for First Week can be found on the Academic Calendar.

Where can I find the academic calendar?

Here is the current academic calendar.

Other than my seat deposit, what must I submit before school starts?

In addition to seat deposit and the Intent to Enroll form, you must submit the following to documents to the Admissions Office by June 1:

  • official transcripts showing all post-secondary coursework you have completed. At least one must reflect the conferral of a bachelor’s degree. The copies of transcripts included in your CAS do not fulfill this requirement.
  • proof of immunization against measles and rubella. For more information about proof of immunity, please contact UA Little Rock Health Services at 501.569.3188.

Will I be assigned a UA Little Rock email account?

Yes. Instructions for accessing your UA Little Rock email address and BOSS accounts can be found on your PIN Letter which is mailed to you in your acceptance packet.

How do I update my contact information?

Updates to contact info may be made in BOSS.  We strongly advise you to inform the Admissions Office of the update, as the Admissions Office pre-enrollment database does not receive updates from BOSS.

What classes will I be taking in the first year?

When do I register for my classes?

Our registration staff will register first-year students in their first- and second-semester classes. Students do not register themselves for class. Class sections will be available in late July.

Where can I find the class schedule?

The class schedule and other helpful info can be found online or your BOSS account. Your class schedule will be available in your BOSS account in late July.

Are there any resources for students with disabilities?

Yes. The UA Little Rock Disability Resource Center is available to any student in need of such assistance. The DRC’s phone number is 501.569.3143.

How can I find out what textbooks I need for the fall?

A list of required textbooks will be emailed to entering students about one week before First Week. In addition, required textbooks may be located by class on the UA Little Rock Bookstore’s website.

Where can I purchase textbooks?

The Bookstore has all required textbooks as well as many study aids in stock. There are two important reasons why we recommend buying your textbooks through the bookstore. First, you can use book voucher that charges against your UA Little Rock financial aid rather than needing to spend money out-of-pocket. Second, required textbooks sometimes change (usually as a result of a new edition from the publisher or last minute book change from the instructor). If you purchased the book through the bookstore, you can exchange it for the correct one.

Entering students can  save money by waiting until the Arkansas Sales Tax Holiday (usually the Saturday and Sunday before First Week) to buy textbooks. You get a better deal because there will be no sales tax. You can place your order online through the UA Little Rock Bookstore’s website.

Preparing for Law School

Should I be reading something ahead of time?

Students should be familiar with the basics of logical and analytical reasoning as well as reading comprehension. A list of resources to enhance these skills can he found HERE.

Are there any other suggested study aids?

There are a variety of study aids available. Many of these resources are available through the law school bookstore. It is important to remember that study aids should not replace your textbooks, class notes, and course outlines. They can, however, be very useful in clearing up confusion for a specific concept and helping you to practice essay or multiple choice questions in preparation for quizzes and exams.

  • Examples and Explanations (Wolters Kluwer) – Each E&E offers hypothetical questions complemented by detailed explanations that allow you to test your knowledge of the topics in your courses and compare your own analysis. They are available for most first-year and many upper-level courses and come highly recommended from several professors at Bowen.
  • Questions and Answers (LexisNexis) – This series uses multiple choice and short answer questions to test your knowledge for most first-year (Civil Procedure, Contracts, Criminal Law, Property, and Torts) and bar-tested subject courses you will complete during law school.
  • Emanuel Law in a Flash: First Year Law Set (Wolters Kluwer) – This flash card set provides flash cards covering content in all the first year courses, and it is ideal for learners who like to quiz themselves and review important definitions, hypotheticals, and black letter law throughout the semester and at exam time. Sets are also available for many upper-level courses and the bar exam.
  • Hornbooks (West Academic) – Hornbooks are one volume legal treatises written primarily for law students and covering typical law school classes.  They summarize and explain points of law, as opposed to casebooks, which provide edited cases.  Hornbooks can be used to supplement casebooks.
  • Nutshells (West Academic) – These books are succinct statement of the black letter law. While they should not be used to take the place of your own reading and synthesis of material covered during the first year, they do help provide an easy-to-understand explanation of the law.

Issues relating to enrollment division/status

When is registration?

Our registration staff will begin registering you for fall classes in mid-July. This process will take about a week, and at that time, you will be able to view your classes and your tuition bill in your BOSS account. Once registered, you will be able to pay your tuition, using your T-number and PIN.

Does Bowen offer admissions deferments?

Deferment requests are considered on a case-by-case basis. Typically, the Admissions Office grants requests only when unforeseen changes in circumstance render you unable to begin law school this fall. Requests arising from foreseeable circumstances are typically not granted. Deferments are one year in length, which means you will enroll in the next fall’s entering class.

May I switch enrollment divisions before starting the first year?

Depending on space limitations, it may be possible to switch enrollment divisions. Contact the Admissions Office with your request.

May I switch enrollment divisions after starting the first year?

Yes. All students in good standing are allowed to switch divisions after successfully completing the first year.

Is it true that part-time students can graduate in three years?

Yes. Students who begin the first year in the part-time division may graduate in three years by switching to the full-time division after the spring semester and attending summer school each of the next two years.

May I work as a full-time first-year student?

Full-time first-year students are not allowed to hold outside employment during the school year, but may work up to 10 hours a week in the law school and law library. There are no employment limitations on part-time students.

I will be a part-time student. May I take a day class or two?

No. Space limitations prevent us from allowing part-time students to take day classes.


What kind of computer should I buy?

The Computing Services department at Bowen recommends Dell computers because of the type of warranty they offer. But any computer running Windows or Mac OS X 10.5 and above should be compatible with the tech applications here at the law school, including wireless internet and exam writing software. For information regarding Macs or any other tech-related questions, contact Computing Services.

Do Bowen students get a discount on computers?

How do I access the WiFi?

Select “UALR-WiFi” wireless network.  When prompted enter your NetID and password (example:  whb1).

How do I access my UA Little Rock email?

In a web browser enter http://my.ualr.edu, and login using your NetID and password (example:  whb1).

How do I login on school computers?

Using your username, or active directory, domain and password (example:  whbowen1).

What is my username and password?

Visit BOSS at http://boss.ualr.edu, login using your T-number (example T00123456) and BOSS PIN then click “Personal Information”>”List Accounts and Change Passwords.”  Check boxes under “Change Password” for your NetID, Email Address, and Active Directory.

What is my BOSS PIN?

At first students will receive a temporary PIN in their acceptance packet.  Subsequently, to find PINs visit BOSS at http://boss.ualr.edu/, click “Forgot, PIN?” and follow the prompts.  PINs can be reset in-person at the Admissions and Records office with proper identification.

What is my T-number?

Look at your UA Little Rock ID card, or speak with the Admissions and Records office 501-916-5431.