The goal is to help the writer, not just improve the writing.
The University Writing Center (UWC) is dedicated to serving writers of all ability levels to improve their skills at all stages of the writing process. We emphasize writing and the teaching of writing UALR students and members of the community. The UWC provides a comfortable place to write, to receive training in working with writers, to use tools and resources in a community environment, and receive encouragement. The UWC serves as a center of encouragement, development, and growth in the pursuit of excellence in rhetoric and composition through individual assistance.
Some of the UWC’s many goals include –
- Building a community of writers and interns by emphasizing collaboration, independence, and interdependence
- Training tutors to work with writers at all stages of the writing process while promoting writer responsibility
- Providing high quality guidance and organization to clients for long-term writing improvement
- Reading your work at any stage
- Discussing ways to make your writing clearer and more effective
- Promoting positive personal attitudes about writing and academic achievement through writing growth
- Establishing a writing environment, which consistently encourages honesty, integrity, personal development and responsibility for writers at all ability levels
- Promoting writing as a personal and professional experience
- Helping you identify your error patterns
- Helping you learn to use computers
- Helping you better understand your assignments
- Supporting the policies and practices of the Department of Rhetoric and Writing and UALR
- Maintaining a high quality electronic resources lab to supplement intern-client conferences and Rhetoric and Writing courses