The following tips are tried-and-true hints for taking essay exams.
- Read the question carefully to see what approach to take.
- Make a quick list of the points you want to make before you start writing your answer.
- Have a straightforward thesis or topic sentence that lets the instructor know exactly what you are going to say.
- Be very orderly; go from point to point in a specific order.
- Give a lot of details, examples, and illustrations. Fill your answer with specifics.
- Be sure your answer communicates to the instructor that you know the material.