The following classes will have as a prerequisite a minimum score of 70% on the IT Competency Exam:
- Accounting 2310
- Accounting 2330
- Business Information Systems 3305
- Business Information Systems 3352
Note: The IT Competency Exam is required for the above four courses regardless of completion of past computer coursework. This exam is not for credit; it is a prerequisite to gauge current knowledge and skill necessary for successful completion of the College of Business Core.
Computing competency indicated by the 70% passing score is essential if you are to perform well in the above courses. If you do not have minimal Excel skills, you will struggle as you complete your business core courses. If you do not feel you have this essential minimal Excel competency, you should strongly consider taking BINS 1310, in which you will develop these skills and have the opportunity within the course to pass the IT Competency Exam.
Follow these steps to meet this prerequisite:
- Step 1: Review exam details in the document, “IT Competency Exam Content.”
- Step 2: Setup your testing account in SAM. Follow the instructions on the instruction sheet, “SAM Student Registration Instructions.” This temporary SAM registration is active for only 14 days, so setup your account near the time you wish to test. After the 14 days, your test scores disappear from within SAM.
You may take the exam through UA Little Rock Testing Services or directly through SAM from your own computer.
- Step 3: If you wish to test at the testing center (Room 315 in the Student Services Center), contact UA Little Rock’s Testing Services to reserve a time to complete the exam. Students make all proctoring appointments online at com/ualr.
- Step 4: When at a computer and ready to complete the exam, you will log into the SAM Challenge site using the login information you used in Step 2 and complete the exam.
- NOTE: Upon completion of the exam at testing center, the testing center staff person assisting you will note the exam score and enter it into UALR’s BOSS system. If you are testing at home or in another location, send an email stating your name, T#, date of test, and score to the following email account immediately: firstname.lastname@example.org. Print a copy of test score for documentation before closing exam.
- Step 5: Keep in a safe place your SAM Access Code and SAM login information in case you need to retest. The same access code will be used for future test administrations.