Alpha Beta Kappa is the UALR chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the International English Honor Society. There are currently more than 700 chapters around the world. Members share their love of literature with their peers and participate in a wide range of social and service activities. Each spring, members of Sigma Tau Delta have the opportunity to give papers at the international meeting at major cities around the United States. They may also send submissions to the two literary magazines maintained by the national organization, and they may apply for numerous awards and scholarships.
Requirements for Membership
- Have a minimum grade point average of 3.0, both in English and in the University overall
- Have completed at least three semesters of college work
- Have completed two courses in the English Department
- Submit an application with a $40 national membership fee (contact the treasurer for an application form)
- Pay $10 annual chapter membership dues
Benefits of Membership
- Members are eligible to apply for a variety of Sigma Tau Delta scholarships valued at up to $5000 each.
- Members may submit papers for publication in The Sigma Tau Delta Rectangle and The Sigma Tau Delta Review. Works selected for publication are also eligible for awards and monetary prizes.
- Members may apply for Sigma Tau Delta co-sponsored internships with a major publisher and an online bookstore that funds worldwide literacy initiatives.
- Members may submit papers for presentation at the annual Sigma Tau Delta international convention. Works selected for presentation are also eligible for awards and monetary prizes.
- Members may use their honor society affiliation as a tangible sign of academic success to help advance their professional career.
- Members meet one of the U.S. Civil Service Commission requirements for entrance at the GS-7 level in numerous professional and technical occupations in the Federal service, thus beginning employment at a higher level and higher salary.
- Members have many opportunities to network with other Sigma Tau Deltans through local chapter activities, regional events, the annual Sigma Tau Delta international convention, and online.
- Members may compete for officer positions and take part in community service projects.
- Members may compete for student leadership positions at the regional and Society levels.
- And more!
Advisor: Dr. Jeremy Ecke, email@example.com