As a principle F-1 or J-1 student, you may apply for a F-2 or J-2 dependent visa for a spouse or children. They will be added to your I-20 / DS-2019 and will receive Forms I-20 / DS-2019 of their own. The dependent forms will be used for the F-2 or J-2 visa, traveling to the US and to maintain their status while in the US.
To add your dependent, you must:
- Be in good immigration standing
- Submit the SEVIS Update form
- Attach updated financial information
- Financial statements must include sufficient support of you plus $4500 for spouse and or $2500 per child
- Attach passport copies for each dependent
Points to consider when sponsoring a dependent:
- The dependent status is directly connected to the principle’s status.
- If a principle leaves the US, the dependents must also depart.
- If a principle’s program ends or violates status, the dependents will also be out of status.
- F-2 dependents may choose to enroll in the LewerMark health insurance plan. Health insurance for F-2 dependents is recommended but not mandatory.
- J-2 dependents will be enrolled in theÂ LewerMark health insurance plan upon arrival. Sponsored students must submit proof of insurance for a waiver of LewerMark coverage. No other dependent coverage will be waived. Health insurance for J-2 dependents is mandated by the Department of State.