Sponsoring a Dependent

As a principle F-1 or J-1 student, you may apply for a F-2 or J-2 dependent visa for a spouse or children. They will be added to your I-20/DS-2019 and will receive Forms I-20/DS-2019 of their own. The dependent forms will be used for the F-2 or J-2 visa, traveling to the U.S. and to maintain their status while in the U.S.

To add your dependent, you must:

  • Be in good immigration standing
  • Submit the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) Update form
  • Attach updated financial information
    • Financial statements must include sufficient support of you plus $4,500 for spouse and or $2,500 per child
  • Attach passport copies for each dependent

Points to consider when sponsoring a dependent:

  • The dependent status is directly connected to the principle’s status.
  • If a principle leaves the U.S., the dependents must also depart.
  • If a principle’s program ends or violates status, the dependents will also be out of status.
  • F-2 dependents can engage in study at UA Little Rock as long as they are enrolled in less than a full course of study.
  • F-2 dependents are not eligible to enroll in the LewerMark health insurance plan. Health insurance for F-2 dependents is recommended, but not mandatory.
  • F-2 dependents may not work and are not eligible for Social Security numbers.
  • Health insurance for J-2 dependents is mandated by the Department of State.

Learn more: International Travel.