To maintain your student immigration status, international students must:
Maintain a valid, accurate I-20/DS-2019:
- Be aware of the program end date found on item 5 of the I-20 and Item 3 of the DS-2019. If you need more time to finish your program than your documents allow, submit a Program Extension Request at least 30 days before your expiration date.
- Keep your program information up-to-date. If you change your major or begin a new program level, you must request an update to your I-20/DS-2019.
- Undergraduate full-time enrollment is at least 12 credit hours per semester in the fall and spring semesters.
- Graduate full-time enrollment is at least 9 credit hours per semester in the fall and spring semesters.
- Summer sessions are not required unless:
- Your degree program has mandatory summer enrollment (such as the IELP) or
- Your I-20/DS-2019 has a summer program start date
Don’t take too many online courses
- Meet the physical presence requirement before taking online courses.
- Physical presence for undergraduate – 9 credits
- Physical presence for graduates – 6 credits
- Online courses taken at another institution may also count toward your full-time enrollment (once physical presence is met). You must submit a request for Reduced Course Load and keep a copy of your online enrollment on file with International Student Services.
Work only with authorization
- International students may work on campus up to 20 hours during the spring and fall and up to 40 hours during the summer.
- Specific work authorization must be approved for any off-campus employment including
- Curricular Practical Training
- Optional Practical Training
- Severe Economic Hardship
- Any unauthorized off-campus employment will result in termination of your immigration status in the United States. If it looks like work, it is work, so “volunteering” for a friend’s company is not authorized.
- See the Employment webpage for detailed information on employment options for internationals on student visas.
Learn more on our Immigration Documents page.