All research involving human participants conducted by faculty, staff, or students of UA Little Rock must be reviewed by the UA Little Rock Institutional Review Board (IRB). The IRB operates according to the guidelines in the Code of Federal Regulations (45 CFR 46) and other state and institutional guidelines.
- The Request for Review form also serves as a Request for Determination form.
- The Request for Review form must be typed.
- Submit a digitized copy in PDF format. Scans are not acceptable. The text in the submission needs to be clear and not blurry. Please see instructions below.
Instructions on how to save a Word document as a PDF file
- In Word, go to the File tab located on the upper left side of your screen. ->File ->Save As,
- When the file dialog box opens, under ‘file name’ find ‘Save as type’ or ‘File Format’.
- In ‘Save as type’ or ‘file format’, through the drop-down menu under ‘Save as type’ or ‘File Format’, find the PDF (*.pdf).
- Choose PDF (*.pdf) as the file type or File Format and save the document. Submit the PDF document for review.
- Make sure that the PDF document includes the protocol and all attachments. Please do not send multiple attachments.
- Answer all questions completely on the request form.
- The Request for Review form must be signed by the PI. If the PI is a student, the student’s advisor must also sign it.
- If the proposed research is externally funded, provide the grant or contract title and funding agency.
- Attach the PI’s Human Research CITI Training Completion Report. If PI is a student, attach the advisor’s Human Research CITI Training. CITI certificates are valid for three (3) years.
For studies where information is collected from subjects using questionnaires, interviews, or surveys.
- Consent Forms and/or Assent Forms (for children between the ages of 7 and 17) – *If no consent form will be used, clearly explain how the informed consent process will work. If a waiver of the consent form will be requested, clearly explain the circumstances for the request according to the federal regulations available in the Code of Federal Regulations, 45 CFR 46.116, http://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/humansubjects/guidance/45cfr46.html#46.116.
- Site Letter of Permission of Support (if any of the research is conducted at a location other than UA Little Rock)
- Recruiting Material (recruiting scripts, flyers, announcements, etc.)
- Questionnaire, survey, etc. – If survey will be administered electronically, submit screen shots of finished questionnaire(s)/ survey instrument(s).
- Collection of data may not begin until the UA Little Rock IRB gives formal approval.
- The submission (protocol and as many of the attachments as possible) must be in digital pdf format and be searchable. Scans do not fit this criteria.
For more information, contact the Director of Research Compliance at 501-916-6209, email@example.com.